Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 Not Kicking Down?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tjk5, Feb 15, 2004.

1. tjk5

tjk5 Newbie

I have a 1991 K5, into which I recently installed a (used but good condition 700-a buddy had it in his truck prior) 700. Everything seems to be working fine, save for the fact that the thing refuses to kick down. Where do I begin to look to take care of this? Kind of a pain on highway trips. Thanks!

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Sounds like a T.V. cable adjustment problem to me. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. tjk5

tjk5 Newbie

Does TV adjustment affect kickdown? I have adjusted the TV cable multiple times hoping this would remedy the problem, with the only effect being varying shift points/firmness. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. monsterjim

monsterjim 1/2 ton status

To adjust it there should be a cable running up to the intake and then onto the throttle linkage. There should be a bracket mounted to the intake with a plastic adjuster running through it. Push in on the square button to release the cable and then move it forward or backward accordingly. Usually the cable sticks out 1/4 of an inch. Its better to be to loose than to tight. To see if you have it adjusted right, start off slowly and as soon as it shifts to 2 on its own, floor it and it should go back to first immedietly.