Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700r4 / NP205 front driveline clearance issues?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Desert Rat, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Ok, the rig is in getting a rebuilt beefed up 700r4 swapped in. I went in to take a look at the progress since I need to have the drivelines made up for it. I have a D60 up front w/ 1350 yokes and a Corp14ff rear with the same. So, I was going to have 1350 CV shafts made up similar to High Angle Drivelines setup. But, looking at how close that front yoke is on the transfer case to the 700r4 pan gives me pause. Anybody run into any clearance issues on the front? On the back I plan on getting an HAD adapter to run a CV and it looks like clearance will be fine. But, the front seems like a 1310 CV will barely fit, let alone a 1350 CV. Anybody have a similar issue?

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

could use a 700 to th350 spacer kit. to move the transfer case back. wile the tranny is being built thay could use the proper shaft and you said new drive lines are coming. so dl parts arnt a problem. the spacer is almost 2" thick. if this helps you.

3. Desert Rat

They swapped in the right tailshaft from Advance Adapters when they built the tranny so the NP205 fits right. But, looks like the 700r4 pan is a bit bigger than the TH350. Moving it back won't solve it since the whole length of the pan runs parallel to the driveshaft. I've heard though that it isn't uncommon for the front driveshaft to be within an inch of the pan anyway so I'm hoping it isn't an issue.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

actually moving it back does solve the problem... I run a deeeep cast aluminum pan on my t700 and with the th350 spacer (2") and the standard length output shaft on the 700 I have no clearance issues at all with my HAD 1350-1410 shafts.

j

5. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Front D-shaft clearance w/ the 700

I know of a guy who had similar problems.... but w/ an Atlas.

Ultimately swapped out the Atlas for a Gen II ORD Doubler and clears fine.

Marv

6. Desert Rat

Too late for the spacer, the tranny is build with the AA shaft and mated up to the 205. I'm going to have to hold up a 1310 and a 1350 CV to see if it will clear. I need to call Jesse at High Angle Driveline and get his adapter for the rear to use the 1350 CV on the rear driveline. Does he make the same type adapter for the front TC output? Stock there is already a 1310 CV up front but I haven't seen a 1350 yoke yet for the front of the 205. The output shaft visibly looks smaller than the rear, or maybe I'm wrong on that.

7. NJBLZ

NJBLZ 1/2 ton status

new guy question, sorry to interupt, how did the 1310,1350, and 1410 get thier name, is it form a part # or something?

8. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

:frown1:

You might be SOL on a 1350 CV. My stock 80 NP 205 with flange style CV hit my pan after installing a 700r4 with AA's adapter shaft. I thought it would be the better setup (at least stronger without a spacer), but it caused more headaches. If I were to do it again, I would go the spacer route. My shaft tore the pan "stock" with 4" lift (which should have helped). I had to have a metal worker, rework the corner of the tranny pan to make it work at all (and again this was the stock shallow pan).

Good Luck, let us know if you find a way to make the 1350 work........

9. Desert Rat

So, did you have the round flange style front yoke on the 205 mated to a 1350? I was trying to figure out it I needed a round flange, or if there is a 1350 standard yoke that goes on the front output shaft. I'm thinking I will have to drag in a stock 1310 driveshaft and bolt it on to see what happens first. Then, depending on the clearance will depend on whether I can squeeze in a 1350. The pain in the butt is that the rig is in the tranny shop now.