Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700r4+NP205 -- how did you do your front driveshaft?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mike reeh, Dec 2, 2003.

1. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

My front driveshaft on my flanged ('77) NP205 hits the oilpan on my 700.. its the CV that hits, grinding aint gonna help. I dented the oil pan to gain 1/8" of clearance but its ONE EIGHTH of an inch, and I cant clearance anymore because there is something inside the trans protruding down into the pan.. truck is lifted 4 inches or so, and the t-case is dropped 1/2"

hmmm? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

mike

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

use the spacer to adapter the 205 instead of the shorter output shaft? thats what I did, no problems with clearance, even with a deep aluminum tranny pan and a big azz HAD shaft... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j

3. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

well the AA short shaft is already installed in the already built transmission and the already shortened and lengthened driveshafts are already made /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif so going with the aluminum is out of the question... I guess if it comes down to it I will have to have a special front shaft made..

mike

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I guess if it comes down to it I will have to have a special trans pan made..

mike

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed it for you. I can't see why you'd make a smaller front shaft than the 1330 that you've already got. Have someone fab you a pan with more clearance.

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I guess if it comes down to it I will have to have a special trans pan made..

mike

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed it for you. I can't see why you'd make a smaller front shaft than the 1330 that you've already got. Have someone fab you a pan with more clearance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the same issue. You can't fab a pan better than the stock one. Thick aluminum pans make it worse. I actually cut my pan and had a tinsman weld in a new piece.

A previous poster was correct as there is an accumulator right in that corner that only allows you to clearance the pan so much. You can either replace your flange yoke to a different style CV or go with a regular non-CV shaft which is what I am thinking of doing although with the clearanced pan, I have not had an issue.

My clearance is barely a pinky's worth.....

6. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

I think you should put a 203 in as a spacer

(Sorry had to do it) /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Nice plug, the 203 makes an excellent spacer but even I didn't think of it this time!

you could go to the old style 1310 CV that mounts up yoke style instead of plate style. I broke plenty of front 10 bolt parts with that CV so it's a fairly strong setup. In fact, Beck's using that driveshaft now in his buggy.

I lucked into that smaller CV when I had the 700/205, it's just what I had but it did work.

8. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

I ran this set up but not with a flange it was a c/v set up. It was close to the pan but did not hit on my 85 K-5.

9. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

WEre to start and were to end /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    i just went threw this my self
    best - cheepest- easiest solution in my opion
    is upgrade to a 32 spline front output and then run a ujoint mount drive shaft
    I like the statement " you could go to the old style 1310 CV that mounts up yoke style instead of plate style. I broke plenty of front 10 bolt parts with that CV so it's a fairly strong setup. In fact, Beck's using that driveshaft now in his buggy."
    and that way ya dont need a 203 as a spacer
    i am even thinking about flipping - reversing my drive shaft how crazy is that :-)
    as i have done it a few times on the rear before
    and once ya go yoke ya can
    and i have never seen a flange mount yoke for the front axle :-)