Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 only has reverse now

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84CUCV, Dec 25, 2006.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Well, the po thinks he got some water in the trans. My qustion is if he did get water in there could i flush it out and maybe just maybe be OK? I know very little about auto trans. Worst case i do have a 700r4 from a 88 burban.

As always thanks for the help.

2. RIPPEDK5

RIPPEDK5 Guest

I think its time for a rebuild!.. You have to have alot of water enter that transmission to cause a problem.. Once a clutch slips... Its all over!! I had a 700R4 in my blazer , after driving it, the tranny let go and only had reverse.. this is because of the overdrive unit inside the transmission.. The overdrive clutches can not take a great deal of abuse; nor can they take large tires! If you've ever seen an input shaft on that TH700R4, its very small and all that engines power goes through that itty bitty shaft.. My opinion. Your trans is junk..get a TH350 or TH400 and appropriate adapters and swap them out and call it a day....

overall: your overdrive clutch pack has slipped beyond repair (is the fluid dirty or watery?)--i suggest not rebuilding it if you use big tires or tow alot...its not a strong tranny..

3. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

700r4 can be built to handle over 400 hp, so why not? if you want a good strong trans and overdrive, check out bowtie overdrives... or raptor

4. 84CUCV

Well, its going behind tbi 5.7 that will have some small bolt ones when i am done. thats it. so i think a 700 would be fine. I already got one from a burban, so i will bolt that up. Dont have the cash for a rebuild now. yea, there is some water in the trans fluid. thx for the replys guys

5. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

yeah water+auto trans=bad news 98% of the time

6. 84CUCV

OK loos like i am going with the 700 from the burban. thx

7. RIPPEDK5

RIPPEDK5 Guest

I'd just like to make a note about the TH700R4 and power...

The 700R4 was never meant to be a high horsepower absorbing transmission. It was meant as a fuel economy trans over the TH350 and TH400 (thus the overdrive) everyone knows with the right parts and the right amount of money you can make anything indestructible..but lets face it 400+ hp isnt alot these days and add in the abuse of offroading and Big tires; that overdrive stub shaft and clutches no matter how strong isnt up for the abuse (has any actually measured the stub shafts diameter--it isnt axactly large!)

There is no disrespect to anyone that likes and knows about these trannies...
    Its just an observation that I see all the time.... Im sure the tranny will work in a stock or lightly modified vehicle..

But big tires, Big Horsepower, offroading... Lets face it the 700R4 isnt the best competitor....

8. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

go bash somewhere else. I have one behind a 350 putting out just over 400 lb/ft and turning 44" tires. It has survived 23 years with only a shift kit and new converter. I have been wheeling it hard for the last 8 years. my 700 is the only thing besides the bed, frame and front clip that hasn't been replaced on this truck.

9. 84CUCV

The more ithink about it. i would like to keep the 700. will see how it goes

10. RIPPEDK5

RIPPEDK5 Guest

Hey, take it easy..no ones bashing here.....

It still lays to rest that the TH700R4's over-drive assembly are not a strong unit..GM has known that for years and GM techs will tell you that. Im glad you got so many years of service out of it..others just dont have that luck.

Try the tranny and see how it goes. who knows you may get 200,000 miles out of it or you just may not

11. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

it comes down to how it was used before you got it.