Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 or 2004R - is anyone doing this?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BorregoK5, May 25, 2002.

1. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

At the drag strip the 2004R is a pretty popular alternative to the 700r4 but I haven't heard anything in the 4x4 world. Do they even make and adapter to do such?

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

To my knowledge the 200 doesnt have a removable tail shaft housing and would require a divorced Tcase. I dont think they are the best of trannys either. I have never heard of anyone building one up.

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You are correct Steve. The 2004R's do not have a removable tail housing. The 2004R from what I have heard from everyone is actually a better tranny than the 700R4 but it doesn't have as low of gears in it. It is however supposed to be a stronger tranny. GM installed the 2004R tranny in the 3.8 turbo Buick Grand nationals that are 12 second out of the box cars.

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

HUH! Well I was under the impression they were junk. Ill have to do some research on these.

The lower gears are a benifit to the 700, but all the weak links they have made it undesireable to me when I got a new tranny for PI. I had to replace everything including the case so the tranny guy was gonna hook me up w/ a 700 instead. After discussing what the Blazer is and how it would be used we decided to go w/ the TH350.

I knew they came in the GN, but didnt think anything about them being able to handle real high power. Like I said Ill have to look into it, because I still dont know how well it would handle say 400+ lbs of torque. Prob make for some decent reading anyhow.

5. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

The only halfway decent 2004rs were in the Grand Nationals, and they werent that great either. Art Carr builds a good 200, but lots of money (my buddies 12 second GN went through 2 of tham so far)

Dan

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I remember reading about building the 2004R in Hot Rod a few years ago. IIRC the big reason to do it was you could get them with the BOP bellhousing pattern. With a Chevy motor there is no good reason to do it. It's been a long time, but I think they were talking about the beef'd version being as strong as a stock 700R4.