Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 or 4L80E?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by trailblazer87, Sep 8, 2002.

1. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

My 700 is crapping out on me right now. Just wondering what the coversion is like. What do I need to find and install with tthe tranny? What kind of cost am I looking at? Thanks for the help.

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Interesting. Been told that the 4L80E is a lot longer so there might be some driveline angle issues.

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

700R4 is 27 spline.
    4L80E is 32 spline.

The 4L60E took over the 700R4, so I doubt this tranny would be that much better than the 700R4.

If you really want the 4L80E, you are gonna need to find the 32 spline t-case to fit behind it. The 4L80E is the overdrive version of the 400 tranny.

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Replace it with a TH400 and have peace of mind. Who needs overdrive?

Seriously, a 4L80E would *rock*. Unbreakable tranny *with* overdrive. OTOH, they're spendy (expect to buy one new, three grand or so, as I don't think you'll find one junked yet) and you'll need a wiring harness and computer for it (JET sells 'em I think.)

The cost difference between that and the TH400 will buy a lot of gas. Just a thought... my Burb came stock with the 400, and you know, that's OK. It towed my second Blazer home through 110F heat and nasty hills, all without breaking a sweat.

-- A

5. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

The 4L60E is the electronic version of the 700R4, Which is its benefit. The big problem with the 700 is the all hydraulic valve body.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The 4L80E is one beefy tranny, but expect to spend somewhere around $3,000-4,000 by the time it's all said and done. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif The tranny isn't cheap, even used. It also won't work at all without the computer that controls it. On gas powered trucks, it is controlled by the computer that also controls the engine. But on diesel trucks, it is controlled by a standalone computer. So you need a standalone computer and the correct wiring harness. Then you need the correct adapters to attach your transfer case to the back of the tranny. I'm pretty sure that it's also longer than a 700R4, so you need to have the rear driveshaft shortened and the front one lengthened. It's pretty much the ultimate solution as far as slushboxes go, but you'll pay dearly for it. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

No different valve body principle than the powerglide, TH350, TH400, and 200-4R /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Simply (as with at least the 200-4R) that GM started installing the 700-R4's, and they still had a lot of bugs to be worked out. By '87-88 they were getting good, and they did nothing but improve until the electronic 4L60E.

I had an '83 that was "upgraded" to newer parts by (gasp) Aamco when I was stranded halfway across the country, but it lasted me years (until I sold it) and lots of miles. I also had added on a factory tranny cooler...

Of course, I told the next owner "don't beat on this tranny or it will fail you" and sure enough, 2-3 months down the road, 35" tires with 3.08 gears, the tranny failed. It certainly wasn't the tranny or builders faut it failed.

8. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

but you CAN get a six speed valve body for the 4l80.....thats neat. far as i know 1st and last are the same ratio, but theres two more in da middle. i cant get a price. but i have a part number.
    Ryan

9. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

4L80Es can be had for less than $1000 if you keep your eyes open - controllers can be had for $400 or so if you keep hunting on ebay or other lists. You could do the conversion for less than $2000 if you do the work yourself and are patient.

10. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

I'm going to build a 700 using the parts that get put into a 700 raptor. If I ever break it, I guess I'm shelling out the money for a 4L80 Quadzilla. Or mabey converting to manual.

11. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

I have a line on a towing company that has a lien on a wrecked 1-ton......Diesel. I need to drive 250 miles this weekend to check it out /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif I may be towing a 98 1 ton home this weekend if the price is right. Do a diesel conversion while I'm at it. Only problem is that it is a 2 wheel drive. Oh well, nothings perfect.
    Thanks for the help.