Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 Outputshaft Swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mndfalco02, Sep 23, 2004.

1. mndfalco02

mndfalco02 Newbie

I Have a 700R4 2WD Transmission and am needing to put it in my 4X4 (mostly 87 S-15 Jimmy). I have the 4X4 outputshaft and was wondering if anyone has done the outputshaft swap before and would be willing to give me a little advice and instruction. I'm not a transmission guy but I am working on a very limited budget and I would really appreciate any help.

Thanks

2. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

If you don't get a satifactory answer here, go to the USNET newsgroup alt.trucks.chevy or alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks
    TranSurgeon is the man, he will NOT steer you wrong. I have never seen him be wrong about anything, trans related or not. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

to swap the output shafts you have to take the pump and whole forward drumb assembly that gives you acess to the front plantest all you have to do is remove that snap ring and the output shaft will slide out the back. On the back side you will need to remove the tail shaft and govenor then you just have to put it all back together. I suggest going to auto zone and buying the gm automatic trans book that has a lot of good pictures and will give you the torque specs that you will need to put it back together

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

its actually quite easy.
    you will need 4 gaskets and the filter, pan, pump and both valve body gaskets.
    you need to flip it over, pull the pan, filter, lockup solenoid, and valve body. don't loose the check balls. you should be able to see where they go anyway.
    on the side you need to remove the servo, big snapring on the cover and pull the cover off and pull it out.
    then start pulling the pump, its quite a pain with out the puller but is posible. once you get the pump out, you need to remove the band. there is a pin under the valve body to hold teh other end in place. you need to get that out. then just grab the band and pull it out. you may need to move the input shaft around.
    once you get the band out grab the input shaft and pull it out. after that there is the sun hub. there is a planetary gear inside that. pull the planetary out and you will see the other half of it. inside that is the snap ring holding the out put shaft inplace.

before you/i forget remove the governer, if not you will damage the gear and will need to replace it.

now you will need to support the output shaft. i usually have a helper push up on it. this is the hardest part, you need to remove the snapring, you need a set of external pliers made for the splice cut snap rings,
    the only set i could find was a set the hole type snaprings, so i ground a flat side on it so it didn't slip off.
    i take the snapring pliers in one hand and a small screwdrive in the other to catch it in case it falls off. once you get that out, the out out shaft will fall out.

now on reasembly, get the output shaft in, planetary gear in. you will have to work abit to get the input assembly in. then the band, you need to put the band in, get it close to the hole and put the pin in locking it there. once in put the pump back in and tighten in a star pattern to the spec, im not exactly sure, but i think its 12ft lbs.

once you get the main body together, start with the valve body, use some vasoline to hold the check balls in place. put the gaskets in place and tighted down in the special sequence to the spec, this one im not sure of. then the servo and the governer and your done.

it takes me about 30 minutes to do all this, but i do it alot.

i can get you all the parts/tools, or anything else you need let me know. my email is in my profile. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

OOOPPPPPS! I think I was to supposed to post this for him and forgot /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif If you need a hand let me know, I am sure we can really mess it up good /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif. I got that 400/203 pulled today with no broken bones or parts, rare for me, so I am off to Amarillo on Sunday to do some parts swapping.

Krennen

6. 85 blazer

85 blazer 1/2 ton status

couldnt you just cut the tailshaft from the 2wd to proper length, I have done it with a turbo 350 before

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    couldnt you just cut the tailshaft from the 2wd to proper length, I have done it with a turbo 350 before

[/ QUOTE ]

No you can't. It's too long.

8. hawkeye649

How can something be "too long" to cut? /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif
    And most metal isn't too short to cut.... /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif then /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

9. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Maybe he means that if you cut that much off, you'd cut all the splines off or something? I dunno really what you guys are talkin about cause I've never done but just tryin to shed some light on the situation.

10. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

on a 2wd shaft the splines end at least 5 inches from where you would need them for 4x4 aplications

11. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    on a 2wd shaft the splines end at least 5 inches from where you would need them for 4x4 aplications

[/ QUOTE ]
    Perhaps I was wrong then? Or, was I very right?

12. hawkeye649

I see, so without grooving the shaft further it wouldn't work.... good info to know and too bad for the OP.... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

GMC Gremlin

13. mndfalco02

mndfalco02 Newbie

Thank you all very much for the tech info. This seems like quit a pain. I'm still kicking the idea around, but I think I'm going to take it to my transmission guy and let him rebuild it and put a shift kit in in for me. At least doing it that way I get a warranty.

14. mndfalco02

mndfalco02 Newbie

Thanks anyway Kritter. I still want to pull down that other 700R4 if you want to help. Do you have anything going on next Sunday? By the way. Great site. These guys are very helpful.

Dan

15. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

Dan,
    No plans for next Sunday, but it all depends on work, you know how that goes. I was supposed to work today, but swapped so I could go pick up my other tranny.

Krennen