Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 Overdrive Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by djsblaze, Dec 1, 2003.

1. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

Here goes-- Just got my K5 back from re-gearing to 4.88. I had a smaller version of this problem before regearing, but now it is considerably worse. Tranny works fine driving around town in Drive, not OD. No problems upshifting or down. When I put in OD, even at 60-70 on the highway, it "stalls" in and out, and bucks like a bull. Is it possible for OD to go "bad" and everything else work OK? Possible fixes? Thanks in advance.

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'm no expert on tranny's but sounds like maybe a lock-up convertor problem.

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Maybe you don't have enough gear for your 38" tires......................

4. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

I also think that this is going to be an issue in the Tranny. I don't think it is the gearing.

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I also think that this is going to be an issue in the Tranny. I don't think it is the gearing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you should tell me to comprehend the post a little more before I spout off /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Not sure but this almost sounds like the kickdown is acting up. My Burb did the same thing, might still I havn't driven it in over a year. But the thing is that kickdown will cause the tranny to keep shifting from in and out of fourth while your in OD with about 1/2 throttle. It can be replace with a unit from B&M or TCI that will only allow the shift to occurr at about 3/4 throttle and allow you to cruise in OD without the constant shifting.

I'm not 100% on how this works exactly so I could be way off, but I know exactly what your talking about.
    I'm adding this to my new tranny as well as a converter lock switch so I can control the lock up more effectivly.

7. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the input folks. Considering this tranny is stock, do you think it would be cheaper to have it rebuilt with the right components, or to shell out for an Art Carr or similar type setup? Anyone know of any good quality tranny shops in, around, or about Tulsa, OK? The two I was referred to dont seem to have much experience with lifted trucks, mainly hot rods. Thanks again.

8. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Once again just my opinion but I would shell out the bucks for a good tranny from a place like 700R4.com or someone comparable.

It's too much of a pain to keep pulling out "stock" rebuilds. I know I'm abusive to mine but this is the third time I've had to pull mine out. As soon as I can afford it I'm getting a stage 3 from Bowtie Overdrives.

9. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I always say "look at what your local shops are capable of doing and if they know anything about how to build a 700" It varies from shop to shop because one guy will say they are junk but he either is too stupid or doesn't know the vast aftermarket parts available. Those are the customers that have trouble because when the shop rebuilds them thinking they are junk anyway how of a good rebuild do you think your getting? Plus they usually just go for the stock rebuild kit.

Now if you find a shop that is up to date on 700's and know a lot about them and tell you what they will and can do to a 700 to "upgrade or "build" them up. A friend of mine owns a very reputable local shop and he told me to bring it in to him and he would take care of it for a good deal. I was impressed! He put in all sort of aftermarket/late model4L60&80/corvette parts in during the rebuild. One of the weakest spots in a 700 is the sun gear, it is patheticly thin and he replaced it with an aftermarket gear called "the beast". Rear sprag was changed, valve body was drilled out,billet turbine TC, corvette servos, and a bunch of other crap. My shop built 700 is just as good as any of the bowties or art carr 700's and I only paid $1,500 for the tranny, rebuilt 241 T-cast, and R&R. but I knew the owner so that helped. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

PM Kyle89k5, he had a tranny rebuilt in Owasso that he swears by.

John

11. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys, I think I may bite the bullet and order a "fancy" one as I like to call it. I'll talk to Kyle too, he's good people. The only problem I have ordering one is that I prefer to look the dude in the face that built it. Im a pretty nice guy, so if they treat me right, I treat them right. If they treat me wrong, I get to wave my "lawyer" stick around. Guess Im just concerned about service after the sale if I order one out of town. Thanks for all the input, looks like I have some digging around to do.