Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 pics/questions/opinions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Drey, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

First off thanks to Stomper for the 2wd 700R4 hopefully i can get my C10 running with it.

Secondly, I pulled the pan tonight, and didnt find any metal chunks or large savings, it appeared to be a grey substance in the bottom of the pan, i figure thats just oil or a small enough amount of atf it wasnt red. Here is a pic, sorry about the water drops in the pan it started to sprinkle down rain when i went into my house to get my camera :doah:
    [​IMG]

Here are the inerds if you guys spot anything not kosher please tell me.
    [​IMG]

I plan to put it in the truck see if it works, then flush it and put in a new filter if it does.

Any other comments or tricks you guys have i would like to hear. Thanks

2. Big89Burban

Big89Burban 1/2 ton status

that grey sediment/sludge looking stuff is pretty much normal for a used tranny. As long as you dont see chunks of metal and as long as the fluid doenst smell burnt then you could have a healthy tranny.

IMO I would tear it down if I had it out but thats just me. I use to work at a ls1/lt1 shop and learned to build 4l60's. A couple of them went into 450+hp corvettes and saw mid 10sec. passes on motor.

(For what my opinion is worth)
    If everything looks ok. Then pop it in and go ;)

3. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

what are those wires in there for?

4. Big89Burban

the wires are for shift solenoid A&B and your TCC (torque converter clutch) Might also have a solenoid valve for line pressure.

edit: Did the truck that this tranny is going in originally have a 700r4?

5. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

yes its going into a 86 C10 Scottsdale with a 6.2

Im not sure what year this one is, but it came off of a 6.2 that stomper had lieing around

6. Big89Burban

Just wondering. I figured your c10 had th350 or somthing that wasnt electronic. I figured you would have seen the harness on the truck that plugs into the tranny. Dont know what is all involved in a swap from th350 to 700r4 but I'm sure its a pain.

7. 6.2LTrailblazer84

6.2LTrailblazer84 1/2 ton status

I have a 6.2 and just replaced my tansmission not to long ago with a B&M 700R4.

The old 700R4 had a problem with the area of the transimission housing that the govenor valve rode on... it was all torn up.. and rough.. this would cause the govenor to get stuck and it shifted hard for a long time until it finally went out -- completely siezed.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2005