Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 pressure taps?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Dallin, May 18, 2006.

1. Dallin

Dallin 1/2 ton status

There are 3 pressure taps on the passenger side of my 700r4. Can anyone tell me what each of them goes to? I believe one of them is 4th gear?
    Thanks

2. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Three on the passenger side, one on the driver side (direct line pressure; that's the one my underdash pressure gauge measures). For the other three (apologies for the small size):

700R4_pressuretaps.jpg

3. Dallin

Dallin 1/2 ton status

I can't see the picture because I don't have a membership. Can you email it to me?

Last edited: May 18, 2006
  4. 1985_K5_Silverado

The tap nearest the tailshaft is "second oil". The pair just behind the 2-4 servo are (top) "third oil" and (bottom) "fourth oil".

5. Dallin

Dallin 1/2 ton status

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed.

6. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i put a temp guage in the one closest to the tail shaft
    good or bad idea?

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The best place for a temp sender is in the pan. The reason is because this is the return fluid from the cooler and is the temp you want to read since this is the temp that the tranny sees when running.

8. 1985_K5_Silverado

Mine is in a little rigged-up manifold that Ys out to the temp sensor and the outgoing (hot) cooler line. Steadily flowing trans fluid, probably at its hottest (that would be easily measured by a sending unit, that is), would always be heading out of that port on its way to the cooler, so it went there, but the manifold thing had to be put there first to let the port accomodate both the cooler line and the temp sending unit.

I'm not a transmission expert by any stretch of the imagination, just an amateur hack gearhead, so I can't say for certain how the temps compare between at the outgoing cooler fitting and the "second oil" tap. Instinct/hunch says to me that the fluid would likely be hotter at the cooler line out port, but that's just because I'd bet that they'd route the flow that way. I could be wrong, of course, and a pro could raise the BS flag if I am.