Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 pressure test port

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by irocvette355, Oct 21, 2008.

1. irocvette355

irocvette355 Registered Member

Im going to mount a trans temp gauge/sending unit...any body know the dimensions of the test port on the 700R4's?

The sending unit provided is 1/8 in NPT.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I believe they are 1/8". Try a search, using the test ports for temperature has been discussed before, I bet it's in one of those.

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Test port is 1/8" NPT but i don't suggest using that as a place for getting temp info. The pan is the best place for the most accurate reading. This has also been discussed before. The real concern is knowing where "normal" is regardless of where you place the sender.

4. bigblock72

bigblock72 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The temperature reading is within a few degrees no matter where you put the sender so it doesn't make to much of a difference. The reading in the pan does respond a little faster to changes but again it really doesn't matter. I like to Put it in the pressure test port (which is 1/8" NPT) because it's way easier and to keep the wire out of the reach of exhaust and to keep it away from be being snagged on bushes etc.

Your operating temperature should be no more than 90 degrees higher than ambient air temp, i.e. 70 degree day = 160 degree fluid temp. If your trans runs consistently higher then you don't have enough cooler capacity. There will be times when the fluid could get 230 or higher such as slow speed hill climbs or long grades when the converter unlocks this is normal just make sure it doesn't stay that hot for longer than a few minutes and shut it down at 250 degrees