Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700r4 problem for 1989 sub

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by pauly383, Jan 23, 2004.

1. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I was reading about someones 7oor4 and my buddy has a problem too. Copy of his message to me: mine goes through the gears up to 3rd, then drops back to neutral 1st meaning it's in 1st gear, but is only coasting post it and see what they say 1st to second is fine, 2nd to 3rd is fine, but when it hits 3rd, it slips and drops back down to 1st in a neutral state, will only engage when throttle is applied to match road speed maybe you come over here sometime and i take you for a drive around the block and show you exactly what it is doing, really weird i thing the clutches are burnt because the fluid is dark and does not smell real fresh
    Anyhelp is appreciated
    Paul /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Sounds like his 3-4 band is toast, very common in a 700r4. Before having it rebuilt for an ungodly amount of money you might want to have him check out bowtieoverdrives.com for a performance 700r4 for not that much more.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Thanks for your input. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Yup. What spearchucker said. Either way, it's not gonna be cheap. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif