Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 Problems please help!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Subzero87, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Subzero87

Subzero87 Newbie

Someone please help me with my squeaking transmission. My problem is that my transmission has a high-pitched squeak coming from the torque converter area. I have had this problem for approx 6 months the transmission does everything it is supposed to do and has been on a long road trip to Florida without any problems. I have taken it to a few transmission shops and have gotten the same solution from them all; it needs to be rebuilt. I really do not want to spend the money to rebuild it because the squeaking is not affecting the performance of my Suburban; it's just a little annoying. When I changed the fluid it wasn't burnt and did not have an unusual amount of debris. The squeaking seems to start about 10 to 15 minutes after startup and is continuous; when I accelerate the noise will go away and will come back when I am up to speed. If anyone out there has a possible solution I would appreciate it.

Randy
    1987 Suburban with 89TBI 350 and 700R4/208

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Have you checked the flexplate??

It could be lots of things,but tranny's dont usually make squeaking noises--but a cracked flexplate(some folks call it a flywheel,thats the correct term when its a manual tranny,automatics use a flexplate)--can cause a squeaking noise,loose bolts on the torque converter can too-
    -after 6 months though,and a long trip like yours,it should have gotten worse or failed by now,I would think--wouldnt be a bad idea to have the flexplate checked(its not always readily noticable if its cracked while its still installed--until the tranny is pulled back far enough,it might appear ok--I've had several "suprises" when putting another motor or tranny in my trucks,finding the flexplate nearly completely separated around its bolts to the crankshaft)--loose belhousing bolts or an inspection cover rubbing can cause squeaks too--time to get it on a lift and start looking.....:crazy:

3. Subzero87

Subzero87 Newbie

I did check the flex plate when I changed the fluid, I thought that might be the problem also. I did not pull the trans back but I did rotate it and check it with an inspection mirror.

Randy