Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700r4 problems trans genius wanted:

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TorkDSR, Aug 1, 2002.

1. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

i just dropped in a b&m shift kit. i found some neat things while doing it, such as a broken accumulator piston spring. but anyway while i was testing it out i hit 2 gear at 3000(lit up 38.5 groundhawgs in second /forums/images/icons/smile.gif ) then third never came /forums/images/icons/frown.gif .
    i took it easy on her and she wont shift untill about three grand..1-2, or 2-3, havent got 4th yet.

i tested the trans pressure. it doesnt seem to change with TV movement. but with throttle it increases. does the rpm of the tork converter increase TV pressure? or is that only governed by TV position?

my thought is that there isnt enough pressure in the trans to shift it untill 3000 rpm becauses the TV is acting properly.

does any of this make sense, or am i looking up the wrong tree. i was also told to inspect the governer on the side. what the h3ll am i looking for? i took it out blew it down and reinstalled it. i cant figure out how it works.

Sound advice Needed
    Thanks
    Ryan

BTW the trans is in a <font color="red"> 79 k15 400 sbc 4.56 </font color>

2. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Although I don't have the answers, Call this number and ask for Alan, HE KNOWS!!! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

(918)-272-5532

3. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

who is alan and what does he do? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif where is ac(918)? should i say "i know Kyle89k5" /forums/images/icons/blush.gif ?

4. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Alan runs Allco Automatic transmissions in Owasso Oklahoma. He is pretty much the smartest man on 700R's I've ever met. You can tell him you know Kyle Pope or you can just ask his advice on the problem and see what that gets ya.

5. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

TTT someone has to know....trannies are so simple /forums/images/icons/wink.gif
    <font color="purple"> HELP!!</font color>

Ryan

6. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

That broken accumulator spring is no biggie. What all did your shift kit include? If it was a full rebuild (Super TransKit) it could be almost anything. Sounds like just a seperator plate/shim the accumulators type of thing, though. If so, the problem is somewhere in the valve body or seperator plate.

The line pressure should vary both with rpm and TV position. If moving the cable doesn't affect your line pressure, the TV is stuck. It is the most susceptible valve in there, as it has no return spring. You can one, though. Does it seem to shift based only on vehicle speed and not on throttle position? Maybe you are lucky and the cable or lever was put back together wrong. It sounds like it is stuck at about 3/4 throttle.

If you replaced the seperator plate and/or the valve body gaskets, be sure that they were the right kind and installed right. After checking out all the TV stuff, I would pull the valve body again and check for sticking valves.

7. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

i figured the busted spring was no big deal since i did away with it and replaced it with spacers anyway. it was just a shift kit: two gaskets two springs some spacers and two drill bits. im hoping it was just something hung up in there. everything seemed to move freely, and all my linkage was linked. it seems to shift only on rpm needs to be at 3000 then <font color="red"> BLAMO!!!</font color> tires squeel and old women faint. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Thanks ill see what happens
    Ryan

8. Blue85

This sounds like a stuck TV to me. No 1-2 accumulator spring is HARSH. But it sounds like you've already discovered that. You may have left something behind or somehow disturbed some old crud while you were in there and now it's stuck in a valve. you pretty much have to lower the valve body to check the TV and some of the other valves as well, but that's not so hard.

If the governor was stuck, your shift points would be affected by throttle position, but not vehicle speed/rpm.

BTW, the governor works off centrifugal force. The spinning pulls the side weights out, which moves the valve in valve center. The springs also push the weights out. The more the weights come out, the faster the speed is relayed to the valve train. What holds all of it in is hydraulic pressure on the valve. So lighter weights and lighter springs will raise all of your shift points and heavier weights and heavier springs will lower the shift points. This is the difference between the gas and diesel trannies.

9. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

thanks, i dropped the pan wiggled some sh!t put it back together and im chirping second /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif everything is fine.

with the tv cable can i adjust shift points?

thanks a lot
    Ryan

10. Blue85

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    with the tv cable can i adjust shift points

[/ QUOTE ]

In short, no. Changing the TV setting will have a slight effect on shift points, just like changing your throttle position a little will. It does nothing to your WOT shift points. You should set it correctly and then leave it alone.

To change shift points, work on the governor. It can be pulled out of the side of the tranny (little cover with wire lock over it) with the tranny in the truck. Get yourself a shift point kit and try new weights and/or springs. Lighter weights and lighter springs mean raised shift points. Or buy a governor from a tranny shop. An IROC or Corvette governor will shift you higher. They may also have some weights or springs you can buy. The other option it to grind your weights (I assume you want higher shift points and not lower). Carefully grind a little material from each weight, clean the heck out the governor and try it out. Don't worry about keeping the weights identical. Some setups run two different weights anyway. Repeat till happy. If you end up jacking the governor up beyond recognition, go back to one of the previous two options.

A higher stall torque converter will also raise your shift points.