Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 problems.......What's wrong?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by hawglet, Apr 6, 2004.

1. hawglet

hawglet 1/2 ton status

700R4 problems.......What\'s wrong?

Okay it starts out that coming home from a concert in Omaha last weekend I try to pass a truck and my Blazer down shifts as it is supposed to. After passing though it wouldn't up shift back into 4th gear. I got off the interstate as soon as I could only to notice at the off ranp that my temp. gauge was reading like 240 degrees..... Holy Hell!!! It has never been above 210. It cooled off by the time I was off the ramp and started shifting fine again. Then after about another 40 or 50 miles of driving the backroads into town I had to stop at a stop light and then another and so on. After stopping say a dozen or two times it quit shifting again....It still won't shift unless you baby the gas peddle then it will only shift into 2nd, not third or forth. I really don't have the cash to put a new tranny in it, nor do I really want to at this time. At least not until I can track all the parts down for a New Venture 5spd. swap. Anyway, I am hoping that I just burnt the fluid bad enough that it lost it's viscosity and won't build enough presure to make the tranny shift. Can I just change the filter and fluid? Or do I need to have it rebuilt, or is there another option that could be wrong?

PS I know manuals really well, but I am clueless as to how to rebuild an automatic. Thanks alot guys. /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Re: 700R4 problems.......What\'s wrong?

Check the governor at the rear driverside, change the fluid and filter, if it still does it, it's most likely dead, mine did the same thing, wouldn't shift past 2nd gear.

How many miles are on it?

3. hawglet

hawglet 1/2 ton status

I have no clue as to how many miles are actually oon the tranny and motor. Before I bought it someone had swaped out the 350 for a 400 and a 700R4 from a Camero. The motor was just rebuilt before taking it out of the camero but who knows.......You know how that goes... I have put about 25000 on it in the last three and a half years so if that gives anything. It has never acted odd or out of sorts. Even pulling an oversived-overloaded trailer form Oregon to Nebraksa it did great. That has been about three years ago.

Oh what am I checking the governor for and how. I know what it is and where it is I think but don't know what to chack or how. (it's the little round can like thing on the side about two inches off the pan right?)

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Remove the cover, then you will see whats inside, pull it out and check the little plastic gear that is attached, if it's good, then as i mentioned, replace the fluid and filter and see what that does, if that doesn't cure it, i would say it's probably dead.
    Mine did the same thing while i was working, (work required me to drive my own truck) mine had always had a slight slip from 2nd to 3rd, but nothing major. It just out of the blue one day as i was leaving a customers place, just would not go into 3rd at all, it would go from 1st to 2nd, then as it tried to go into 3rd it would just slip and rev real high, then if i let off the gas, it was like it was in a neutral state, was still in 2nd gear, just was not "engine braking" is the term that was explained to me. I was told that the 3-4 clutches had finally wore out.

You mentioned the trans is from a Camaro? that in itself should tell you what kind of use this trans has most likely had on it.
    I had an '89 IROC Camaro, and i was always beating on that thing.
    Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

Would the governor gear keep a tranny from going into OD. Mine shifts fine just won't hold OD at all. If so where can I get a new one and about how much $$$ am I looking at?
    /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

6. hawglet

hawglet 1/2 ton status

It never slips it just does come out of gear...That is what has got me, it acts like say a manual if you were to keep it in 1st gear and try to drive 65 then let off the gas and go threw the window!! Anyway I'll check sometime this week untl then I guess I will have to drive the b!tch magnet (i.e.'87 Nissan Sentra)!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

IIRC governor affects every single shift point, so it wouldn't be an OD only issue.

If yours won't hold OD, I know there is a valve in the valvebody that is for 3-4 shift, and I also know there is a "conversion" kit to hold 4th gear with more throttle input.

Does that sound plausbile to you, that you simply have the pedal too far down, and it's kicking out of OD, or does it do it with almot no throttle input?

8. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

are you sure its not shifting into 4th or is lockup not working?

9. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

Hard to say, no tach /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Just going off the sound of the engine. When it "isn't going into OD" I can shift from OD to 3 and there is no real change in engine noise.
    I think if it was in 4th with the TC unlocked it would still change the sound of the engine, less rpms. Guess I need to get a tach and keep a close eye on it.

10. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

If you lost lockup, that would explain the temperature issues. Since you know it got hot, change the fluid out. Look in the pan while you do it, as this gives good clues to transmission problems. It's possible something in wearing and causing all of these problems, although particles tend to stick the TV up before anything else in *unmodified* 700's.

Since you have to baby the throttle to get to 2nd, that sounds like a governor problem to me. When you pull it out to make sure the gear is still intact, also shoot that thing clean with some BrakeClean and make sure the little piston inside moves up and down freely (you will see it when you get that thing out).

If it was a problem with OD only, I would suspect a servo seal or sticking 3-4 shift valve.

If you do get into overdrive, make sure the lockup is working, or you will just cook the tranny again. The easiest test I know is to keep on the gas in OD and lightly touch the brake with the other foot (just enough to turn on the brake lights, not enough to add significant drag). If the rpms go up a couple hundred, it is unlocking (good). If the engine speed stays the same, it was never locked (bad).

11. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

It's toast. Pull your governor cap off and look at the gears on it. Also what does you fluid look like? What does it smell like? What does it smell like? Chances are that the pump has chewed itself up inside. Your probably looking at a new tranny.

12. crazy427

crazy427 1/2 ton status

If there was a problem with the gov.(like a broken gear) it would not shift at all.Another thing that is possible is that the throttle valve is stuck. I would service it 1st and pay attencion to what is in the pan--aluminum shavings , brass, clutch meterial ect. While the pan is off check the internal linkage to the throttle valve ( the cable that goes from the carb or tbi to the trans ). Make sure it all moves freely and that the valve moves freely also and is not stuck.If this valve sticks it will trick the trans in to thinking you have the truck floored which will push the shift points way up and will not let it shift into over drive .Also the pressure regulator in the pump can stick which will cuase low pressure and soft/ no shifts.you can drop that out in the car also while serviceing it and inspect the valve and spring. Good luck