Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 Problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Highlander, Mar 3, 2001.

1. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure what happend today with the trany, on the way back from Boulder the 700r started ticking at idle in gear not in park or neutral, hard shifting and on OD. It has fluid, the ticking sounds like it's coming from the front of the trany it could be the flexplate but i'm not sure. the k5 is an 83 and i don't know how many miles it has on it. the trany and torque converter could very well be rebulit or out of a junk yard. any insite will help greatly thanks Eric I took sometime to listen to the thing while in gear it sounds more like metal grinding and rattleing right now, anyone have a good 700R for sale in colo? buy chance. Eric

Lost? i'm not lost i'm just disorienated<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Highlander on 03/03/01 06:34 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. Highlander

I should add that when this thing does shift it feels normal. any thoughts would be helpful. Eric

Lost? i'm not lost i'm just disorienated

3. Ryan

Ryan Registered Member

If it shifts real high or low, it could possibly be a broken or out of whack TV cable. The 700 R in my 83 pickup would make a noise after a fluid change or if it was low on fluid. I wouldn't call it a "tick", but it didn't sound good. I think that came from air in the system which bled out eventually.

4. Highlander

Thanks Ryan, for the replies i'm going to look at the tv cable in the morining, and i just mite change the fluid to. i'm hopeing it's not going to need a new tranny.

5. rock.monkey

rock.monkey 1/2 ton status

check your flex plate to torque converter bolts to make sure they are tight. Also look for cracks in the flex plate.

HTH

Bill Innes
    88' Jimmy

Built for <font color=blue>Function</font color=blue> <font color=red>NOT</font color=red> <font color=blue>Fashion</font color=blue>

6. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I agree w/ rock.monkey... pull of the scatter shield and then would drop the pan and see if anything is in there. Definetly sounds like loose bolts in the flywheel/torque converter could be a cause. Also droppiong the pan will let you see if there is a lot of clutch, metal or even part of bands in the bottom.

1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

7. Highlander

Thanks Rock monkey, Capt. crunch, I'm going to do both today i'll let you guys know what i find out. I damn sure don't need to buy a tranny right now.

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Let us know what you find when you open it up. Rotate the flywheel and look up inside with a flashlight so you don't miss anything. It could be as simple as a loose bolt or cracked flexplate. (Let's hope!) Next on the list would be the torque converter or the pump. Either can be replaced without a tranny rebuild, but it's still a lot of work to drop the trans and t-case. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

9. Highlander

Well so far i've had the pan off no chunks of bands just alittle metal shavings not a lot. The TV cable is working, I looked at the flexplate no cracks, no loose bolts. So i went to NAPA and got filter and Lucas transmission fix and some ATF. I put all back together and IT STILL DOES IT! I let it warm up ran it down the road 2 miles or so same thing. Anyone got a tranny for sale. or would it be better to go and change the pump or torque converter?

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Are you certain that the noise is coming from the trans itself? Make sure that the noise isn't coming from the engine or an exhaust leak or something like that. Crawl around under the truck while it's idling and see if you can get a good idea of just where the noise originates.

If it is in the tranny, that could be a bummer. [​IMG] Beware that most tranny shops will want to sell you a total rebuild, regardless of what's actually wrong. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

11. River

River 1/2 ton status

this is what happened to me. First their was a soft metal sound when the transmission was in neutral and idle. After a view day`s the sound started the become harder. Then i heard it also in drive, and shortly after that the converter blew no drive at all anymore. I had to rebuild the hole transmission and replace the converter.

My advice listen carefull to find where the sound is coming from if it coms from the converter don`t drive it, replace the converter if you don`t replace it the metal pieces from the broken converter will go into the transmission and then you need a rebuild.

Hope this will help you to do the right thing.

Greetings from Amsterdam,

River `90 K5, 350, TH700R4, NP241, "32, 3.08, 10 bolt F, 10 Bolt R(GOV-Lock)

12. Highlander

Thanks River, When i got under it the sound came from the torque converter area and as i've said it only does it while in gear. I just got a book on it today i'll sit down to tonight and read it, If it is the torque converter would it be worth it to go though the trans to? Was your's hard to shift also? after i did all this today it still does about 30mph at 4000rpm.

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Hard to diagnose, but if you are correct in your diagnosis of the area it is coming from, it's likely something in the pump (there are a few valves in there, as well as pump vanes) or maybe the converter. I don't know many people who have had converter problems that didn't include "doesn't move" the torque converter usually takes itself out in fairly short order. My 200R4 (close enough to a 700) had more of what I consider a "buzzing" noise, that got progressively louder. As it got louder, the tranny no longer wanted to upshift. No slipping, but no upshift either. Finally started shifting again, but then the shifts got progressively worse. I parked it, let it sit for a few months, next time I started it, no noise lol. I know its on its way out though, so I am replacing it. All I can say is start saving up. And make sure if you have the 700 "rebuilt" that they use ALL the upgraded parts from the later 700's.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

14. RLBstein

RLBstein 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure if this will fix your ticking problem but if i'm reading correctly your trans. doesn't upshift either. When I rebuilt mine, I couldn't get it to upshift until about 4000 RPM. There is a button on your TV cable where it connects to the throttle area. I just pushed that button in and opened the throttle all the way, released the button and it set it to the correct position. Now it shifts perfectly. Don't know if this will help, but if you haven't tried this yet, you might want to before you fork over the cash, it's free.

85 Blazer on an 82 chassis, 6.2L Diesel, ORD flip, 35's with no cutting on a 4" lift.

15. Highlander

Thanks for your input dyeager and RLBstine, As of right now it looks like i'll be getting a rebuilt 700R, I've called four places and prices run from 775.00 to 850.00 with torque converter, and one or two had a two year warnty. I've thought about a junk yard tranny but I feel better with a hole differnt tranny in there. Any one have a tranny jack? lol Eric

16. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Not so fast... If you have a cracked flywheel, which I'm quite sure you do, you won't be able to tell just by shining a flash light up from the dust cover. Sometimes the crackes are even hard to find at close inspection w/ the flywheel off. The exact thing happened to me. It started as a light ticking and only under hard ecceleration, then got progressivly worse. I bought a new converter thinking that was the culprit, only to find it was actually the flywheel. That was around a 100 bucks down the drain. Anyway... good luck, and hope ya fix it what ever it turns out to be! -Tommy

17. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

you should be looking at 1200 to 1600 to rebuild it right new updates and extra clutch in 3/4 pack (2 clutches added to )not the 12 clutch kit to thin new updated sprag gear ,corvette servo etc.

88k5 silverado w4"lift soon to have <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.56s

18. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I agree with coopertwpk. The guy who had my Blazer before me payed almost $1800.00 to rebuild the 700r4. I'd like to find out who has them for $750.00. I'd get a spare........LOL

Become one with nature............Then marinate it...

19. Blue85b

Blue85b Registered Member

If the noise only happens in gear, then it is probably not the pump or converter. They are both spinning all the time the engine is running. If it only happens while the vehicle is moving, you may be looking at bad planetary gears, which mean a full and extra expensive rebuild. The other possibility, as others have already mentioned, is that the flywheel is cracked or the bolts are loose and the load on them when you are in gear is what causes it to make the noise.

The normal ticking/grinding noise from a 700 is from the pump or torque converter, one of which has just puked and is currently sending shreds of metal throughout your tranny to jack up all of the stuff that wasn't already broken. However, you will most likely hear this regardless of whether or not you are in gear.

20. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yep, good point. Check flexplate. Start easy, work up to the hard/expensive stuff. My car also has a cracked flex plate, so the ticking could be from that. Not sure why its intermittent, but...under load is the time that it normally makes the noise...its ugly. : )

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>