Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700r4 problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5Junkie, Aug 7, 2001.

1. K5Junkie

K5Junkie 1/2 ton status

After the wheeling trip this weekend, i have a leaky transmission[​IMG] . It is leaking i think from the front pump seal. My question is, should i just replace the seal and be done with it or should i get the trans gone through? I have had no problems with the trans before so i was just wondering since i have it out should i get it rebulit?

Thanks,
    Joe

Check out my pictures:
    http://www.geocities.com/jmargtx/index.html

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Depends

How many miles on it?
    How often was fluid changed (if at all)?
    Do you tow?
    Are you going to pull the tranny all the way out, or just enough to pull the converter and get the seal changed?
    Is this for the 90 K5?
    If it's for an early (pre 85), the front seals were known for blowing and there is a kit to fix it. I believe post 85 corrected this but you may want to confirm with a tranny shop.
    How much money do you have to spend?

If you didn't build it yourself, how can you call it yours.......?

3. K5Junkie

K5Junkie 1/2 ton status

It has 167,000 miles never rebuilt.
    Fluid Changed every 20,000 miles
    no towing
    Going to pull the tranny all the way out
    Yes it is for the 90 k5
    As usually i dont really have much too spend

Check out my pictures:

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you can't afford to have it rebuilt, which I'm told by local people is $800-$1000 minimum, just change the seal and put it back in.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

5. shaneopie

shaneopie 1/2 ton status

get a rebuild book and do it yourself. since you have it out and you are going to tare into it anyway might as well rebuild it. i did mine not to long ago and it wasnt as hard as you would think it wouls be just follow the rebuild book and it will show you step by step.

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It sounds as if your tranny should be in good shape (i.e. not abused and maintained properly). I would say to check the throttle valve position, so you can set it there again to keep the shifting and line pressure the same. There is a procedure for initial calibration (PM me if you need assistance), then you can fine tune it, but I would say stick with what works. When you pull the tranny, I would just check the converter (change the fluid by dumping out as much as you can and refill before installation and remember to lube the hub before re-insertion), change the front seal, flush the cooler lines (I use a drip can, and regulated compressed air, by blowing into one cooler line and catching what falls out the other). Since you don't have a ton of cash laying around, a cheap investment would be an external tranny cooler plumbed inline with the tranny cooler in the radiator (if you don't already have one, if you do then skip that part), I use the B&M 24,000 GVW flat stack cooler (from Jegs or Summit). Once it's reistalled, drain the fluid and filter and put a new pan gasket on and refill.
    My only word of caution is that it does have 167, 000 miles on it. It could last much longer, BUT it is somewhere towards the end of it's life-cycle. If you don't mind pulling it again then I would just do the above for now and start saving for a good rebuild. If you don't want to pull it again, I would suggest (remember just a suggestion) having it rebuilt while it's out.
    Whatever you decide, I hope all goes well.

Chris

If you didn't build it yourself, how can you call it yours.......?

7. K5Junkie

K5Junkie 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all of your input. I have a person i found that is going to rebuild it for a reasonable price, so i am just gonna get it rebuilt. Plus he is going to change my rear main seal that has a minor leak[​IMG]

Check out my pictures: