Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 Problems!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ignato, Jun 28, 2003.

1. Ignato

Ignato Registered Member

My transmission works GREAT!.... Untill I step on the gas and actually want to get somewhere quickly.
    When I hit the gas pretty hard, the transy seems like it has problems shifting into the lower gear, and then when it does, it seems almost like it doesn't catch or something. The engine revs WAY up, and I have no power behind it. I immediately let off the gas cause I don't like running the rpms that high.

Another situation would be when I'm on a 2-lane highway wanting to pass someone. I start to get over in the other lane when no cars are coming, and give it gas. Well, it starts to over-rev, and I have no real power behind it. Sometimes I'll end up giving up trying to pass someone because it takes so dang long, and by that time, cars are coming and I have to get out of the way.
    The fluid isn't the reddest fluid I've ever seen, and I would change the fluid and filter, BUT, I'm afraid doing that may complicate my problems by making the transmission slip even more or something crazy like that. I'm going to do a very long trip in a month or so, (right around 1000 miles) and if I did change the fluid, and it started slipping, I wouldn't have the money to rebuild it. I sure hope I've explained this in a manner in which people other than I can understand....

So my questions are:

1. What is the main culprit of the power robbing problem?

2. Should I risk doing the trip without first changing the fluid? or should I change the fluid and risk even more slippige, and cancellation in the trip?

3. What is the proper transmission temperature range for a blazer, and where to install a temp guage for the transmission?

Thank you for any help. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    1. What is the main culprit of the power robbing problem?

[/ QUOTE ]

Try a simple TV cable adjustment. (if you're not sure how to do that, a Haynes manual covers it or search the forums - it's been covered a lot)
    That probably won't solve your problems, but it's not a bad thing to do anyways.
    Your torque converter sounds like it's going bad and no longer has the "grab" that it should.

[ QUOTE ]
    2. Should I risk doing the trip without first changing the fluid? or should I change the fluid and risk even more slippige, and cancellation in the trip?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't go without changing the fluid or at least checking the level. How is the fluid level? Second to a bad torque converter, low fluid level could do the same thing. However, I highly recommend a filter and full fluid change...nothing bad can come of it, don't worry.

[ QUOTE ]
    3. What is the proper transmission temperature range for a blazer, and where to install a temp guage for the transmission?

[/ QUOTE ]

My 'burb runs around 150 or a little higher consistently. It'll sometimes push to 180 when the t.c. unlocks going up a grade on the freeway. My sender is mounted in the pan, and that's the best place to mount it (in my opinion, of course).