Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cybrfire, Jan 29, 2004.

1. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

OK, fluid is OK. red not burnt. Lots of pressure. I got first gear and reverse. Won't shift. Any suggestions on what I can check beyond that? Is it possible a chunk of ice is floating around in there?

One other question, I have another trans I could put in but its not an overdrive tranny. How much gas mileage is the overdrive really worth. This is my daily driver.

2. RATAH

RATAH 1/2 ton status

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

most likely the governer gear is stripped. on the driver side near the rear is a cover for the governer. pull the cover and pull the governer out. if the gear is striped it is like 2.50 for a new one.
    there is a few other posibilities but 80% of the timeit is the governer gear /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

Could have a sticky 1-2 valve in the valve body. I would get a can of Sea Foam Trans tune and add that to tranny fluid and try manually shifting it from 1st to second see if you cant break it loose. Also try pulling up and dowm on your detent cable. That valve can also stick and cause your problems. It doesn't take a big piece of debri to stick a valve body in a 700r4. Good luck! Did the trans work ok up to this?