Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700r4 Pump seal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sunnyc123abc, Dec 13, 2006.

1. sunnyc123abc

sunnyc123abc 1/2 ton status

Ok, so my 700r4 that was rebuilt about 2 years ago, has been leaking really badly since april. First i thought it was the pan gasket, so i changed that. It still leaked, so i changed it to a rubber gasket. That didn't work, so I bought a new pan thinking the old one was warped. Still leaks, so i have tracked the leaking down to coming from the front pump seal where the torque converter is. I know that i need to remove the tranny to change it, but does the seal just pop out or is there something that needs to be removed before removing the seal? Also, I heard that you should change the bushing at the same time. Will i need to remove the pump to do that? thanks

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

there is a seal retainer that is over the seal, it just unsnaps off. the seal is like any other metal-clad seal.

the bushing on the other hand, well to remove it without pulling the pump requires a very expensive tool, and a not quite as expensive but still expensive installer to not damage it. to pull the pump requires pulling the pan also as the filter and TCC solenoid needs to be removed.

usually when the seal leaks, the bushing is bad. i would check the bushing when the seal is out. also try to stick a finger in there to see if you can move it. ive seen a couple pump housings crack and allow the bushing to spin, the bushing looked very good. i would check your receipts and/or with the rebuilder to see if that bushing was replaced.

3. sunnyc123abc

sunnyc123abc 1/2 ton status

man, I just put the new gasket and pan on 2 days ago. Do you have a link to the expensive tool. maybe I can rent it at autozone :D

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

ill look thew my books tomorrow after work, get the number and look for it online. i don't think you will be able to get it at autozone, most tranny shops ive talked to don't even have it, but i know its in my tranny books.