Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 question about good/bad years

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Nitrodrip350, Mar 20, 2002.

1. Nitrodrip350

Nitrodrip350 1/2 ton status

I know that I read about this here but can't seem to find it in the search engine. Just need to know what the good years are to buy and can the older years be built to be just as good if not better then the new model? Or is there something with the housing that makes them weak? The tranny will be sitting behind a 350 with about 350 - 400 ft/lb.

2. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

In 86 they upgraded from a 6 vein pump to I think a 10 vein pump, causing more line pressure. They made other improvements but I cant remember..anyway these are more desirable. Hughes performance sells a rebuild kit with the red alto clutches and kevlar band that is sweet..and be strong enough for your needs. that combined with a good torque converter and you are set. Be prepared to shell out $500-$700 though...
    brent

3. Nitrodrip350

So 86 and up are the good years right?

4. mnstr_fx

mnstr_fx Registered Member

What you really want is the 88' and up 700's. These have the improved pump, auxilary valve body and I think extra clutches in the 3-4 clutch pack. The older ones can also be built up, but will probably cost you more.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

ya have 2 options here that I can think of. Buy an 88 or newer factory 700R4, or buy a built one (raptor, art carr, jet perf etc etc). Personally I have a raptor, and it works for me. Any of these built ones, if u slap a big cooler on it and maintain it via well timed servicing etc should serve you well for years and years. If you have a good (and cheap) local shop, u could get a used 88+ factory one and have the shop rebuild/beef it up for you. Make sure it wont cost you tooo much before you have them do it though, a jet or raptor is around $1500... so if the cost of your used one + rebuild parts + labor is over that... it seems pretty pointless to rebuild one.

J

6. Nitrodrip350

Nice thanks for all the help

Shane-