Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by flatline, Feb 10, 2005.

1. flatline

flatline 1/2 ton status

I recently purchased a 84' chevrolet silverado 2500 with a 350 engine and 700R4 transmission. The truck is lifted 6" and has 35" tires, being an overdrive transmission will this lift and tire kill this transmission or will it be okay?

a friend of mine is totally against this setup and says it will end up in the scrap heap if I don't buy another transmission.:(

Plans for truck is a Daily Driver with limited use offroad, I may tow with it some time but rare. He has got me really thinking I F'd myself on this deal. :frown1:

2. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

it should be good, id put a big tranny cooler on it if it dosnt already have one

3. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

depending on how many miles it has on it could last for a long time or blow up on you... I bought my 88 with the same lift and tires with a blown 700 but it had 180,000 on it. I would say run it till it breaks then get a built 700.

tranny cooler is a real good idea

4. flatline

flatline 1/2 ton status

I have a 4 row HD radiator with a tranny cooler built in. Do you think this is enough or should I buy another larger unit to run in front of the radiator.

5. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

Not sure what you mean by 4 row but that sounds like a stock radiator. The radiator tranny coolers will still be about 45 degrees hotter than a seperate cooler.

Usually when a stock 700 goes with the stock cooling system hooked up (radiator cooler) its because they got too hot.

If you want to keep it cool enough IMHO you need a seperate cooler... jegs has them for around 45 bucks.

6. flatline

flatline 1/2 ton status

The guy I bought it from said the trans was just rebuilt 600 miles ago

7. flatline

flatline 1/2 ton status

Thanks I will check into the seperate unit, it's a good idea to be safe than sorry!

8. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

did he say if it was "beefed up"?

9. flatline

flatline 1/2 ton status

no he didn't say anything about beefing it up

10. flatline

flatline 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know where I can buy the extra lines to run to the tranny cooler?

11. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

You should be fine with that tranny. If you re-gear the axles to a lower gear ratio, you will end up with more power and make the tranny last even longer. That is a little costly and involved though. If I were you, I would go to www.summittracing.com Check out B&M External Transmission Coolers. Buy the biggest one they have that is not a race unit. I believe its the stacked plate 2800# cooler. It comes with all necessary hardware and lines. It does a much better job at cooling the tranny that the stock radiator one, because the one in the radiator only allows the tranny fluid to get a s cool as the engine oil temp. Its pretty easy to put in and it should be all you need to keep your tranny happy. One piece of advice though. The B&M kit (like all tranny cooler kits) comes with little plastic zip-ties that you push through the radiator to attach the cooler to the truck. DO NOT USE THESE!! Over time, the plastic ties will wear a hole in the core of your radiator. Go to Lowes, or Home Depot, buy some metal, and fab up a simple mounting bracket that doesnt push through the radiator. That should keep you happy. I have the same tranny, and have been wheeling with it for almost 3 years on 37's (with the B&M cooler).
    -Harrison

12. flatline

flatline 1/2 ton status

bumping for the later day crowd!

I just want to be certain that this tranny will not be a pile of crap with the 35's on there

Axles are stock 8lug (14b I guess?)

13. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

just count the bolts on the diff cover.

14. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i have found lots of people out there that say ( just re built tranny) but all thay did was change about 4 quarts fluid and filter. go under and see if tranny has been out in less than 600 miles as he said and if not then how was it remaned ? and pull the dipstick and look and smell fluid. if clear red good if brown red not so good. and if black bad!!! smell test if like new smell o.k. if burnt or make you want to hurl up then tranny bad. get big cooler and cool that thing. until about87 thay were weak and need lots of mods to hold.

as for rear axle dont just count bolt . also look for rear hubs like frt but 8 bolts and no lockouts . that is full floater unit 14bolt. if no bolts on rear then semi floater. look in tech section for pumkin pics to id them o.k.

15. flatline

flatline 1/2 ton status

okay with the last statement on the axle it is a 14b FF rear axle, now assuming this is bone stock what gear is in it?

16. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

most 4.10 use for stock 4x4 some 4.56 use and havent seen but thay talk about 3.73 a lot on here. most likly 4.10. good all around gears.

17. pwmin

pwmin Registered Member

i wouldnt worry about it especially if you're going to not offroad with it much and if the tranny was just rebuilt. i put a 700 in my 79 (also 35's) and havent had any problems but i havent been offroading much at all lately. mine has a 12 bolt with stock crap 3.73's. the overdrive will be much nicer anyway for daily driving. thats one of the reasons i swapped that in with the engine and tcase from an 88 tbi. all you have to do is buy an after market tranny cooler and some 3/8" trans fluid line and run both the radiator trans cooler and the a/m one.

18. flatline

flatline 1/2 ton status

how do you run them both at the same time? Sorry I have never dealt with this before.

19. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

The cooler will come with instructions :waytogo: :waytogo: :waytogo: :waytogo:

20. flatline

flatline 1/2 ton status

Yeah I ordered the biggest one they had, comes with everything to hook it up, another question is:

Will I have to add additional fluid to the transmission since there is added capacity now? I would think I would but want to be sure.