Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700r4 Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DuallyK5, Apr 24, 2006.

1. DuallyK5

DuallyK5 Registered Member

2 weeks ago I blew a 3-year-old 700r4 up. I think I broke the planetary gears in it cause every gear besides 1st and made it home. I got another k5 with a rebuilt 700r4 in it but later down the round I found out it was rebuilt in 98. Now I but it into my truck last Friday and last night it started to slip badly and shift hard and then I was at my buddies house. I went inside for about 30 minutes and came back out to drive home. And I started my truck up started driving then it wouldn’t shift out of 1st gear. I kept driving trying to keep the rpms low as possible not to completely destroy the trans and then like 7 minutes later it shifted into 2nd. Then like 2 minutes later it shifted into 3rd and I tried to go home. Now I had to stop at some traffic lights. When I started off I tried to easy it as much as I could but when I gave it any bit of gas it sounded like I heard faint grinding in the tranny. Then like when I was 5 blocks from my house the transmission started to slip badly and I didn’t make it home. I completely lost reverse over drive; drive 2 and 1's. I had to have my buddy drag me home. Now the fluid looked a little black to me and I was going to get it flushed and a new filter in today but didn’t make it that far. Does anyone have any clue what could have caused this? I was in the woods for a little but and it rained earlier that day but I had the dipstick sealed and I don’t believe any water got in there what could water have done this to my tranny for do you think I was ready to go. It didn’t seem 100% when I first put it in but it shifted smooth and seemed to function ok. I had changed like 5 quarts of the fluid from it pouring out when I moved it from my dad’s house to mine.

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I would prolly like first check the governor gear then like if that doesnt work then I bet like your tranny is toast.
    When you installed the tranny did you like set the TV cable correctly? That could like cause your tranny to like go out.

3. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

It's broken. :waytogo: It is likely you have both chipped/broken gears. Sometimes, after the $#!t has been beat out of the gears, the needle bearings come out of the planet gears and shred everything. I sounds like you may also have toasted clutches. The metal and/or pieces of dead clutch will wash into the governor and cause it to stick, which is why it doesn't want to shift. You need to have it rebuilt.:doah:

What year is it? If it is a pre-87 (I believe... not positive of the year) then you need to have the later pump parts installed. For heavy duty/hi-perf use (any truck qualifies as HD IMO) you should have the upgraded input shell installed. It has a larger radius where the splines are, which eliminates a weak point. The stockers with a sharp radius would shear out the splined coupler right there because the metal was weakened from being bent at too sharp a radius. Have the planetaries replaced with the late 4L65E planetaries, which are beefier and have an extra planet gear, as well as a shield to help heep lube splashed into the planet's needle bearings. Then you have the good clutches installed, a heavy duty wide band (it's 1/4" wider than stock), and a decent shift kit (not a racing kit - you don't want it to shift too harsh, especially when you are in 4-LO). Top it off with a low-stall torque converter. Stock stall is fine, but you do NOT want a high stall, which will do nothing but generate a bunch of heat while your wheeling. Once all that is done, you will have a double-tough 4L60/700R4. :thumb:

The biggest thing (unless you rebuild it yourself) is to have a good, competent, and HONEST tranny guy to do the build. Maybe someone else on the forum from NJ knows one?