Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 question

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JoshA, Apr 12, 2002.

1. JoshA

JoshA 1/2 ton status

I need to talk to someone who has done this swap. I have a few questions.

1. are there 2 different bolt patterns on the bell housing? I've heard that some of them might not bolt to a 350. most of the 700R4's I've found in my area are in s-10 blazers, will they work?

2. I've got a 465/205 combo now. am I going to need to get a different transfer case? I know that I'll need an adapter, but do I need a transfer case from an automatic?

3. has anyone done this and used a 208 transfer case?

4. what did you do about the crossmembers? can I adapt the ones I have, or should I fab new ones?

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

There are 2 bolt paterns for 700r4's. One is the 60deg. patern (for 60deg V6's like the 2.8 or I4's). The other one is the 90deg pattern (used on 4.3L's and V8's).

I think 2wd vs 4wd depends on which adapter you get.

I don't know why anyone would swap in a 208. It is weaker than your stock case (205 right?) but it is lighter.

You will have to swap the input in the t-case to get the 700 to work.

3. JoshA

JoshA 1/2 ton status

I was thinking of using the 208 for 2 reasons. first off because it will bolt to the 700R4 without an adaptor (i think) hopefully saving money and hassles. second, it has a much lower low range. as far as strength goes, I know the 205 is much stronger, but with the type of wheeling I do that shouldn't be a factor so I'd opt for the weight savings.

the main reason for using the 208 though, is the money/hassle factor. if I'm wrong and I'd have fewer hassles with the 205 and adaptor, let me know.