Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlazinNewTrails, Sep 26, 2002.

1. BlazinNewTrails

BlazinNewTrails Registered Member

I've been reading through a lot of posts trying to get up to speed on this Chevy stuff /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif
    I know that the 700R4 is not the best tranny...
    I'm just curious about mine.
    When I manually shift it to first at a stop and try to hold it there to get some rpm built up, it will shift out of first into 2nd while I've still got it in 1st on the column.
    Are they supposed to do this?
    My Ram holds in whatever gear I choose until I upshift it.

Thanks for any help
    Greg

2. NCblackandredk5

NCblackandredk5 1/2 ton status

im not sure if a stock one is supposed to do that or not... mine never did, it would always hold a gear, now its been rebuilt with all heavy duty parts, extra clutches, cooler, and some port mods for better fluid flow... 700's arent that bad of a tranny... 3.06 1st gear is always a good thing, so is the .70 overdrive, and with a few mods they can handle a decent amount of power....

3. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

I've read somewhere that some stock 700r4's will shift to second when in manual 1st. This might be a flaw of the early 700s (84-87) Hopefully somebody has some more info on this.

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Most stock ones will shift out of "manual low/1" at a given rpm and Throttle Position (governed by the TV cable). I believed this was to prevent over revving the engine due to the lower first gear. There is a valve you can buy that will hold it in manual first much longer. Do a search on the web, and you should be able to find several suppliers.

5. BlazinNewTrails

Thanks guys!
    I did some testing while I was out, and you are correct.
    It shifts out of low 1 while manually shifted into it, but it will not shift into Drive until manually shifted.

I keep hearing about this "TV" cable. Is this something that the AT&T guy can adjust for me or can I tweak it a little myself?
    What the heck is it?
    This tranny shifts pretty crisp at moderate throttle, but when hard on the gas it is a bit soft.
    Is this typical?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm a newbie Blazer owner and want to get up to speed.
    Thanks again!!!

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Do a search on the web for correct TV cable adjustment. One word of caution, if you mess it up bad enough you can fry the tranny. Always error on the side of caution with too firm (housing moved toward the firewall, which equals more cable pull), than too soft. Also I don't know what your setup is, but I would suggest a good auxillary cooler (if you don't already have one), and a tranny temp guage. I would do the cooler first and if time/money permits then do the guauge.

7. BlazinNewTrails

Thanks for the tip!
    By the way I love your quote!!! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif