Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700r4 question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Aug 11, 2003.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I did a search, found lots of stuff on the 700r4 automadic transmission, but didn't see anything on non-computer controled. Here's my idea. I'm consittering a 700r4/NP-205 combo to go into my 1976 K5. Is this doable ??? What all would be needed ??? What problems might someone run into doing this. Is the no computer controled vechile even a issue, does that matter ??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Yes, its very do-able.
    The early 700R did not have computer control other than to lockup the torque converter, if it had a lockup converter.
    The "TV" cable and Govenor were resopnsible for shifting.
    You can add lockup kit which applies 12V to the converter when the trans is in OD to lock it up. You can run a 700R with or without a lockup converter.

The 4L80E is basically the same trans which is fully controlled by computer so you dont want that.

Heres a link with some info. BowTie Overdrive

I installed the 200R (same size as the TH-350) with a lockup in my 71 ElCamino, easy and the best mod I made.

3. k5kev

k5kev Registered Member

I had a 700r4 put in my 1972 K5 (NP205), and I love it. Assuming you already have a 350/205 combo you only need a few things.

1. A custom output shaft for the 700r4 that will mate to the NP205, available from Advance Adapters for about $175.

2. You have to move your crossmember back either 1-3/4" or 1-7/8 (I can't remember). The 700r4 is longer that the T350.

3. You'll need to shorten the rear and lengthen the front driveshafts.

4. Since the T-case is farther back, the shifter won't work in the stock floor cut out. In order not to do and sheet metal cutting & patching I just torched the shifter and bent it to work in the stock cut out. It just doesn't stick out of the floor as much as it did, but still looks good.

A few other things are you'll have a TV cable instead of a kickdown cable, you cooler lines will probably still reach, The computer thing is no issue, and if you wan't the lock up to work you'll need to install an aftermarket manual switch from someone such as B&M (about $200)(I didn't bother with one).

Last but not least I'd recommend adding an auxilary tranny cooler (especially with no lock up). I did and my rig now runs as cool as a cucumber.

Good Luck.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Currently I have a TH350/NP-203 combo. I'm going to 4:56 gears with 36's and think it'd be nice to have overdrive for out on the interstate running 75, 80 mph's.

5. 73K5Kid

73K5Kid 1/2 ton status

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Thanks for the link. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 88Silverado

You can look into swapping in a modified 200R4.
    They are the same physical size as a 350 and should be a direct bolt-in. An aftermarket 200R4 is as strong and can actually be built stronger than a 700R. The main difference is 1st gear is a 2.68 vs a 3.07 and OD is .67 vs .70.

You can checkout some places like Bowtie Overdrives or others for some good info. Im sure theres some good tranny places out in your neck of the woods. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

When attaching the 205 to the 700, you can do it one of two ways...

One way is to get a new output shaft for the 205 from Advance Adapters. The shaft is only around $180 and is one of their cheapest items. Problem is that the tranny has to be completely disassembled in order to install it. Cha ching!

Second, there is a spacer that many of us have used that backs the 205 up some. That combined with shaving about 3/8" off the end of the output shaft and you are ready to go. Spacer runs about $60 and shaving the end of the output off is pretty easy with a good sawzall. Just don't get it too hot.

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Won't work. 2004R doesn't have a removable tailshaft housing...no way to bolt an adapter to it.

I agree though, 2004R is a better tranny than the 700. Just didn't have a chance with FWD coming along at the time of it's release.

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Had a 200 in a 85 Monte Carlo. Never had a problem with it.

11. 88Silverado

[ QUOTE ]
    Won't work. 2004R doesn't have a removable tailshaft housing...no way to bolt an adapter to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Learned something new...thanks for the info /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

you can always move the engine forward.

ARQ.

13. 73K5Kid

73K5Kid 1/2 ton status

That's what I did. I moved my engine an 1 3/4 forward.
    Good luck and have fun.