Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 Questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by conv76jimmy, Feb 10, 2001.

1. conv76jimmy

conv76jimmy 1/2 ton status

Wondering if anyone knows if in the first year that chevy used the 700R4 which was 1983 did they also come with a lock up Converter back then also. Because i took a 700R4 off of a 1983 long bed truck but this truck had no computer in it so how is it that it had an 700R4 tranny in it. I also wanted to know if anyone knows how many wire's should come out of the Electronic plug located on the tranny.

Thanks in advanvce
    junior

2-wheel'n all the way!!!

2. northgate

northgate Registered Member

Yes, they had a lock-up converter. They didn't use a computer to lock it up. It locked via a vacuum switch mounted just to the passenger side of the brake booster, and through part of the brake light switch as well. I use only two wires of the four wire connector to operate the lock up solenoid on mine, but I can't remember which right now. You could remove the pan and trace the wire to the solenoid and ground to figure which ones they are.

3. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Hey guys,

Any "does" or "don't" to look for in this swap? Any year better than the other.....I can't afford one of the tricked out ones, so junk yard time again! Thanks....mine is 2WD also.

Michael[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm>http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm</A>

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You want a 1988-up 700. Look for cases that have a half circle casting mark in the passenger side, that passes through the oil cooling fittings.

They DID use a computer, although it was only to control the lockup function. They had to, to interpret the VSS signal off the back of the speedometer. VSS, Vacuum, Throttle position, and Temperature are the inputs the "computer" and tranny use to control lockup. They used these starting in 1981, and I'm not sure when the ECM took over the controls of the TCC, if ever.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

As for the ECM taking over the TQ converter, that was probably whatever year the 700R4 became the 4L60E. I thought 87-up were the good ones??

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

6. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

My '82 is packin' a 700R4. I think '82 is when they appeared (not to sound like a know it all or nothin)

June 2001 - The Texas Sawz All masacre begins. Be afraid rust, be very afraid. [​IMG]

7. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

There's a couple of conflicting factors to think about when deciding on which 700R-4 to swap in. First of all, they started in '82. I would stay away from the early ones. By '86 they were much tougher and the later ones were even better. However, TQ converter lock up is really the whole problem. I assume that this tranny is going into your '76 so that you can have overdrive, right? To use a lockup converter, you have to have the right controls in place for it. What controls you need depends on what year tranny you pick up. A transmission that was designed to be used with a computer is missing a bunch of parts in the (main) valve body. The lockup is controlled entirely by the computer. To use one of these, you would have to put an earlier valve body in it that has all of the electrical and hydraulic lockup components. Otherwise, you would have to buy pressure swiches and mount them outside the transmission and wire them them up outside the tranny. I would hate to have a setup like that. Either way, you'll have to get the vacuum switches and the brake pedal switch. There is also supposed to be a 4WD override relay, which delays lockup in 4WD. If you were going to use an ECM controlled transmission, it would be best to just swap the engine in with it.

I would look for an '86 700R-4. If you use this year or an earlier one, you have to make sure that you have all of the right controls for it. Never run a lockup converter without the lockup functioning. There are three wires coming out of the transmission. One has to have 12V whenever the engine is running, another is the lockup signal from the vacuum switch and the third is a kind of feedback signal that provides a ground only when the converter is locked.

Another option is to use a non-lockup converter, but then you would lose some of the MPG that you are hoping to gain with the OD.

Hope some of this helps.

<font color=blue>5-lugs: The sign of true weakness.</font color=blue>

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Don't get too scared looking at these posts. I think the first entirely computer controlled 700's (the 4L60E) came out in 1996. Lockup was the ONLY thing you needed a computer of any type for, at LEAST up until 1988, and I know later on, but not sure exactly. (again, 1996 is my guess) You would be best off getting one that is later (read=improved) but not so late that you have internal wiring differences.... the only differences are going to be how many pressure switches it has, if any.

You can run the 700 without lockup, (here come the flames) but you HAVE to have an auxiallary cooler. This topic goes around on the Monte Carlo list all the time...the 700 and the 200-4R(what the RWD SS Montes had from 84-88) share the exact same fluid paths, yet there is not the same stories about disconnecting lockup killing the trannies...there are plenty of people that run both the 2004r and 700R4 without lockup. The additional "slip" from no TCC causes heat. The 700 (and I'm sure any tranny) will weld internals together if it gets hot enough, let alone destroy the fluid, clutches, bearings, etc.

BTW, the "universal" and "heavy duty" TCC solenoids for the 200-4R are just 700R4 solenoids with spacers...obviously no difference in the parts besides shape. But for economy, and peace of mind, make sure to get lockup to work. It's not going to hurt anything but your brain : )

You'll need to work back from the transmission wiring conector to the cab to get all the related wiring components.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

9. conv76jimmy

conv76jimmy 1/2 ton status

This tranny is actually already in my 81 Blazer that used to be a 4WD. Now it only has the Driveshaft that goes to the Rear only. I took out the Transfer Case and the Front Driveshaft. This tranny only had 2 wires coming out of it. One of the wires was blue and the other was green. Any more help will be very Appreciated!!!

2-wheel'n all the way!!!