Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 Raptor and Diesel, anyone done it?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by OFFRDK5, Jul 11, 2002.

1. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My 700R4 is sqealing. I am having it towd to the tranny shop from where it was fixed the last time. It should be under warranty, but I want to be sure.
    Has anyone ever put one of these Raptor 700R4s behind their Diesel and how did it work? Has it broken? What broke? And how much extra was it to get it set for the Diesel instead of a gasser?
    What about manul trannys? '83 6.2 Diesel. What will bolt up without changing a billion things? I am tired of [censored]ing with these [censored] 700R4 trannys that won't hold together behind my Diesel.
    Anyone tell I'm pissed?
    Thanks

2. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

I don't have any experience with them, but a member over on the Diesel Page is on his fourth Raptor in less than 2500 miles. He says they don't know how to build a 700 to go behind a diesel.

I love the 700. I put one behind my 6.2L in my '81. It's a '90 model with a shift kit. I've towed lots of heavy loads with it, and it's never given me a problem in the last 5 or 6 years. I've even towed my 29' fifth-wheel to Florida and back.

I've heard good things about Bowtie Overdrives. You might check them out. www.700r4.com

I plan on swapping out the 465 in my K-10 for a 700. Wanna trade? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif My 465 works fine, but it makes a whining noise. Probably just needs new bearings. I've got an '82 model 700, but I don't really want to use the "bad" first design model.

Casey

3. OFFRDK5

Well...mines from an 83 so I don't have the best starting point either. Can they use an 83 case and make it as good as the later years? Might think about your trade. What all would you include?

4. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

I've been told that you can update an earlier model to later model standards.....welded convertor, better pump, better sprag, corvette servo, etc. It would be easier to start with an '89 or newer one, though.

Well, If I did swap, I would have all the clutch linkage, bellhousing, slave cylinder, clutch, flywheel, tranny, and maybe even the pedals. I haven't measured yet, but I might need to change my driveshafts as well.

Casey

5. RLBstein

RLBstein 1/2 ton status

I don't have a Raptor 700R4, but I rebuilt mine w/ a lot of Raptor parts. I upgraded to a high performance billet overdrive servo, a Mega Valve, a new Red Eagle clutch set, a Red Eagle 2-4 Power Band, and new front and rear planet gears (which come with more pinion gears than stock).

I had to get used to the difference from my worn out 700 to this beast. If you don't like stiff shifting, you wont like a beafed up trans. There is no question when my trans shifts now. I personally like it. Towing is great now. Now if I could just change my gears from stock 3.73's, I would be very happy. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Yeah, mine shifts hard enough that it will bark the tires sometimes.....way cool.

Of all the trannies I've had, the 700 is my absolute favorite.

Casey

7. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

If you do end up converting from the sm465 to the 700, I might be interested in buying the flywheel and starter from you if you want to sell it. I'm gathering parts to put a 6.2 in my Toyota FJ40.

8. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'm actually on my 5th Raptor!

According to the Raptor people, "Them diesels get real hot, and is probably heating the torque converter and killing the transmission."

Of course, that is all bunk, and by that statement alone, I recommend Art-Carr.

Furthermore, after recieving my truck with it's latest Raptor700, I noticed some significant damage to the rear spoiler/airdam. They drove it somewhere that had low clearance (less than 9') and tore it off the roof.

That's just bad business,

9. OFFRDK5

5 th Raptor in how many years....or months?
    Did you point out to them that they had damaged the spoiler? A good company would have at least told you about it and then had their insurance pay for it!!!

10. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

5th Raptor in 11 months. And regarding the spoiler, they didn't mention it, and I'm writing a letter. We'll see, but they've definitely lost my business.

11. OFFRDK5

Well..the tranny shop put it up on the rack and found some very interesting things.
    They said that an o ring inside the transmission has broken and now I need to pay at least $1500 to get it back on the road.
    The transmission was rebuilt back in December of 2000. A transmission should last alot long than 2 years. Does anyone have any ideas? Is there anything under the lemon law that I can use to my advantage?
    What about the manual transmission idea? What would be good for highway use and would be easy to install, I know there is never anything easy, and would be bulletproof behind this Diesel?
    Thanks

12. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

The Lemon Law only purtains to new vehicles!

The only thing bullet proof is a 465 or a NV4500(Too Much $) in my opinion!!! If you want OD, then you have to spend a lot more on a Ranger box from AA!

Both are a ton of work!!! I really don't see why your Diesel is blowing 700! Mine works great! And has for over a year now since I bought the truck!!!

13. OFFRDK5

I don't know why they are blowing them either. Pisses me off. They guy at the tranny shop first said it was just the input shaft on the transfercase. Now it got bigger, ALOT bigger.
    I would like to see how much it would cost me to put the 465 in there. I think I know why its going like it is....its a 1983 core. They wouldn't update it to the newer one and when I asked em why they said it was something in the shift linkage that wouldn't take the upgrade.
    $1500....anyone wanna oan me some green? Its almost way more than the Blazer is worth. Everyone telling me to sell it while I still have money. I don't want to sell it.
    Thanks

14. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Don't sell the truck, sell the old Tranny!!! Get an 88 and switch over! Yeah, there might have to be some mods, but I'm sure it's doable!!!! People have done it! If you do decide to go to 465, let me know, I'll let you know what you need! I've got two sitting inmy garage, one a 32 spline and the other a 10. I had to put the 32 in myself and might convert the other as well! Later /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

15. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

$1500 is way too much! You should get a total rebuild with all the upgrades for that. I would find a new shop.

I agree with the last post. Your cheapest way out now would be to find an '88 or newer 700 out of a junkyard that you can swap right in. AFAIK, the only difference is the electrics for the lockup TC, and those might work the same anyway.

Casey