Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700r4 rebuild, advice needed

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ambritmann, Jul 10, 2002.

1. ambritmann

ambritmann Registered Member

I a looking at rebuilding a 700r4 tranny for my 82' Diesel Blazer which has problems holding 4th gear. I do a lot of towing (trailer approx 2500 lb loaded) so it needs to be up to the loads. Am going to start with an 88' onwards unit as a core, what are the worthwhile upgrades to do ?. Do you need any special tools, I have started to read up on it with the ATSG and Haynes manuals. Am hoping that someone with hands-on experience can help me out with some advice. I have worked on ZF autos from Range Rovers so not a total novice.

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I rebuilt one myself with no special tools. I improvised by drilling a hole in 2 small pieces of flat bar. Heck I didnt even own a pair of snap ring pliers at that time /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Then ran a long bolt thru the center of the clutch packs with one flat bar on each side. tighten a nut and it will compress the clutch packs enough to remove the snap ring and get it apart.

There are some good websites out there now that give some good tips for upgrades. But if you start with a 1988 tranny you will have most of them already.

3. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ok,

Just to make sure, you do know that the '87 and up 700's have an electronically controlled locking torque convertor? I'm not sure if those prior to '87 do or not, but that's speaking from my experience with them. All I'd really say is check the valve body in the one you've got now. That or the filter just might be your problem.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

They were almost all (I think all) electrically locking. No big deal, its just a solenoid and a different converter. If theres an electrical connection on the drivers side of the case, its got lockup. My '83 did. (gas)

I'd probably do some searching online for 700 rebuilders/sellers, and see what kind of mods they have listed. An '88-up probably doesn't need a lot of "improved" parts, but there are still going to be a few, I'm sure.

5. Jay73K20

Jay73K20 Registered Member

You want the 89-92 version, it has the aux valve body (89 and newer), 29 tooth sprag (89 and newer), thicker roller bearing (87 and newer). When I rebuilt my 89' 700r4 I used C clamps to compress the pistons springs but I like the bar idea better, just to lazy to make the bars I guess. If you plan on turbo charging and adding propane to the mix in the future I would check out http://www.transmissioncenter.net/700MegaRaptor.htm before you dump money into rebuilding your own. Their 700r4 is suppose to hold 600ft/lbs of torque.

6. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Dang...I am looking at a new tranny in my Diesel as well. Interesting?