Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 rebuild - can I do it myself?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BayouBlazer88, Jan 9, 2003.

1. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

I have an 88 Blazer with about 130k miles on it and the tranny seems to be needing a rebuild. I've never done anything like it before nor do I know much about automatic transmissions. However I don't exactly have 1000 bucks laying around for a professional rebuild either. So is this something I can do myself? And what kits do you recommend using? I've got my eyes on the TCI Super Transmission overhaul kit ($210 at Summit). Also does anyone know where I can get a set of step-by-step instructions for the job?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

ATSG service manuals are pretty good, but the pictures kind of suck. To tell you the truth, I had an ATSG manual for my TH350, TH400, and 200-4R rebuilds, then someone gave me a video covering a 200-4R teardown/rebuild. You know, that thing is worth its weight in gold. There are little "tricks" and techniques that just aren't mentioned in the ATSG manual, and as with most things, seeing it done is easier than trying to understand an authors instructions. Plus you can rewind it if you don't understand a part /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Snapshots can only show so much.

Maybe someone here has a 700R4 video they could rent or loan you, before you even try to tackle it, and see if you think you are capable. I guarantee that looking at the ATSG manual, without having a tranny in front of you, makes it seem super complex, just like an engine rebuild looks on paper.

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

4. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Sure, if you've got time and tools. There are several tools that you will need. I said, Need. I tried mine on my own without renting or borrowing any tools. I was doing great till my homemade clutch compressor slipped. Broke my hand. I ended up taking it to a shop that would accept basket case and watching him rebuild it. With the tools and know-how that he had, it was only about a 6 hour job. I would recomend having someone else do a 700. I've done 350's and lots of fords, but I'll never touch a 700 again. I got a professional rebuild and a warranty for less than the price of tools.

My $0.02

5. BayouBlazer88

Do you know of any places that may sell these instructional videos or any specific rebuild kits that come with one? Also, exactly what special tools will I need for this? I don't plan to tackle this for a good 3 months, so I went ahead and ordered a tranny overhaul manual from LMC Truck. I'll look through it and see if it's something I think I can pull off.

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

You obviously didn't read the link I posted for you, the first post said, I bought the B&M kit with the video.
    Please guys, we take the time to do a search for you at least read it.
    /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    We are trying to help you guys out, and you won't help yourselves?

7. cheyenne_77

cheyenne_77 Registered Member

TCI, I use a tci shift kit as it was recommended here in Australia . Only a shift kit but no probs with product.

8. BayouBlazer88

chill out imiceman44. I DID read your link and I appreciate finding that info for me. I am very aware that B&M sells a kit that includes a video. but the question is: which one? do you have a model number that I can referrence or something? thanks.

9. BayouBlazer88

OK, here are the 3 kits that I have found that go with the 700R4 (4L60), all at SummitRacing.com:

1) B&M Transkit item# BMM-70233 $213.95
    2) Hughes Perfromance Overhaul kit item# HUP-HP3788K $329.95
    3) TCI Pro Super kit item# TCI-378900 $209.95

I'll probably go with the TCI since it comes with a drain plug and its not too hard on the wallet. However, if anyone recommends the B&M or the Hughes over the TCI, please let me know. Oh and I called SummitRacing and NONE of them come with a set of instructions. thanks guys.

Matt

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Try calling Dana over at www.pro-built.net At least check out the web page, I think he's selling 700R4 stuff now too. He knew what he was talking about when I spoke to him, and had a lot of parts.

The video I really have no source for though, sorry. Someones borrowing mine or I'd get the company name for you.

11. Overkill

Overkill 1/2 ton status

When you get your video back, would you be willing to make a copy or two and send em out for a small fee? I was thinking about a 700 rebuild also and the video definitely seems like the way to go. This is, of course, if there is no copywright on it.. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

12. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

The B&M kit used to come with a manual, but they stopped including it. This is probably because it was so poorly written and arranged, with terrible pictures that everyone kept complaining.

I have the Haynes techbook about GM autos. It covers 4 trannies, but it has good pictures and fairly good instructions. I am sure there must be better ones available. If you are doing a "stock rebuild", it is easy to follow a manual. The trouble is if you are rebuilding and doing performance mods at the same time. Then sometimes you have to go back and forth between manuals.

Many of us have posted a lot about doing this job in the past.

If you are ready to get dirty and want to save some money, but aren't completely comfortable with about 400 pieces that have to be assembled just right for it to work at all, you might consider picking up a rebuilt unit and swapping it yourself. You will save at least $300 going this route, as there is considerable labor involved with pulling the slushbox from a 4WD.

13. BayouBlazer88

Is the kit that TCI sells considered a performace rebuild or stock rebuild? thanks.