Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 Rebuild Kit -- FOLLOWUP

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by GadgetK5, Sep 24, 2002.

1. GadgetK5

GadgetK5 Registered Member

I know this was asked a while ago (February), but opinions change...

What transmission rebuild kit should be used for a 700R4? (TCI, Jet, ?)

Also,
    What parts should be replaced in an older ('83) 700R4 that typically do NOT come in a kit?
    What torque converter should I get? Stall speed range?
    Has anyone personally done a 700R4 rebuild?
    What large-capacity transmission cooler would you recommend?

(This 700 goes between a 383 and a NP208)

Thanks for your input!

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Re: 700R4 Rebuild Kit

I have rebuilt a 700 (1.5 times /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif ) and have made it a point to learn as much as a can. Now an 83 kind of sucks, so you're gonna want to do some upgrades or swap to a newer unit.

For a rebuild kit, get something that gives you better than stock frictions and more clutch plates in the 3-4 clutch. You'll want to replace both sprags, but especially the forward one. It fails a lot in old 700's. There is a newer unit with more elements. They were designed for 87+, but I think you can get one to fit your 83. You should also think about ditching your 7-vane oil pump for a newer 10-vane unit. They were available from 86-up I think. The corvette servo is a good idea behind a 383, but make sure your shift kit has the right adjustments to work with it's slower apply and release.

There are some other cool parts you could consider for upgrade like a heavy duty reation shell and 5-pinion planetary gearsets. They are available from: Home of the Raptor

I used a B&M supertranskit. It is good, but the instructions were vauge. From what I understand the kits don't even come with instructions now, so you would have to be a 700 expert to even use it.

You may as well pick up a new governor drive gear if your kit doesn't come with it. Also put on a front seal retainer to avoid seal blowout. I recommend a modified 1-2 shift valve so that the tranny is willing to go back down to 1st without coming to a near stop. It's fun to come around a corner, gas it and bark the tires. You should probably replace the lockup solenoid while your in there because they can go bad after a while. Other than that, you won't know about any other parts until you've torn into it and had a look. Haynes makes a good book on overhauling GM autos. It is available all over.

If you're gonna do it, do it right or you'll just be doing it again. I put over $500 into parts when I did mine. Locate a good tranny shop nearby that can sell you parts. That will let you replace whatever you find during the teardown quickly.

3. Blue85

As for the torque converter, first of all: definately replace it. A rebuild is like $100, which is well worth it. Try to find a rebuilder with warranty and good reputation. If it goes bad, you have to pull the tranny halfway out again to change it.

I recommend a stock stall speed, around 1800rpm. A heavy vehicle doesn't do so well with a loose converter and you can forget about compression braking. Really, you should just match it to the cam. If you have a single-plane intake and hot cam for dunes or mud bogs, then go up to 2000 or 2200rpm. The stall speed should be about where your engine starts to make good torque. It will stall at higher than it's rated speed because of the weight of a K-5. Otherwise, it you are setup for low end torque, stay around the stock stall speed. It is well chosen. You can go lower for better compression braking, but acceleration suffers.

Some people hate converter lock up. This is mostly because they don't bother to figure out how it is supposed to work. I say keep it. It greatly reduces the heat produced by the tranny on the highway and heat=death. Without lockup, don't use OD. If you don't want OD, use a TH350. If for some reason you still want to use OD and a non-lockup converter, get a big, big cooler (or two) and DO NOT use a high stall speed. Stock or lower only. No point in burning up all of your time and money.

For coolers I believe in only two kinds: big and bigger. A big tube and fin unit for a heavy truck is good. A parallel flow unit (like B&M's from Summit) may be better. At least for the same size it cools more.

4. 4x4swede

4x4swede Registered Member

Think 20,000 GVW is enough on a trannycooler for a 700R4??
    I can get that or a 26000 one for almost same money including external filter.

5. GadgetK5

Thanks for the ausome feedback! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

I was aware that I'd probably need to replace a few parts (including the forward sprags, but I didn't think I'd be replacing _that_ much stuff!

I've briefly looked at the Raptor stuff, but havent found that perticular website -- that's pretty informitive.

I'll definately be using the lockup. I'm building a custom dash (digital) and the software behind it would easily be able to control the lockup (that's part of yet another procject I'm involved in).

Also, thanks for the clarification on the stall speed -- I was a little unclear as to what direction I should go.

6. Blue85

External filters are nice, just make sure you keep everything well protected. Break the filter or cut a line and the vehicle will at least be immobile, at worst tranny fried.

7. GadgetK5

I spent a lot of time looking at the Raptor rebuild kit. The full kit is a little pricey (about $850), but I think it's worth it -- it seems to have everything and then some. I'll probably end up going that route.

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

have you talked to Dana (not sure if hes the only guy or not there) at www.pro-built.net ? When I was building my 200-4R, his prices were as good or better than everyone else, and he knew what he was talking about.

Worth checking in to.

9. GadgetK5

Re: 700R4 Rebuild Kit - FOLLOWUP

Just wanted to mention that after pulling apart the transmission, I found that the pump body is scratched up, the reverse housing is scared (the band had worn down to a rivit in one corner), and the parking pin woudln't retract far enough to allow removal of the last piston assy. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

I'm headed to the Junk Yard on Sunday to look for a later model 700R4. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif