Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 removal - What am I missing???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Brian 89KBlazer, Sep 7, 2001.

1. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

..........[​IMG]..... I know that's not a loaded question! [​IMG]

Seriously though; I'm trying to pull my 700R4 off the back of my 350 to send the 350 out for it's rebuild. But the tranny doesn't seem to want to let go!

I've pulled the inspection cover, unbolted the 3 torque converter to flywheel bolts & removed all the bellhousing to engine block bolts. Also pulled the 2 bolts on the t-case adapter. Why won't the stupid tranny let go?? Have I missed some bolts or does it just need a little BFH tap here & there around the back of the engine block??

Thanks for any help!

Brian
    89KBlazer

Build it Right or Don't build it at all!!

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Could be lots-o-things. First how many bellhousing bolts did you remove? Did you remove the Tranny cooler lines (if trying to move the tranny back)? Are you trying to pull the motor out and leave the tranny/t-case in (if so bolt the t-case adaptor back to the crossmember and support the front of the tranny otherwise you will have big problems if you don't). Are all three torque converter bolts completely removed. In rare cases, I have seen the center of the torque converter catch the flywheel and hang up especially if the tranny is not supported (only on t/c's with protruding center snouts).

See my rig at <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot</a>

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

You've probably thought of all this, but I thought that I would throw some stuff out:
    -Is the Tranny to T-case adapter free from the cross member or the cross-member free from the frame?
    -Did you remove the long rod that ties the T-case to the bellhousing and block?
    -Did you try pulling the tranny dipstick tube out of the tranny case?
    -Did you unplug the electrical connectors to both gear boxes?
    -Did you disconnect the shift linkages from both gear boxes?
    -Did you disconnect the transmission oil cooler lines?
    -Is your jack holding the gear boxes up so that nothing is hitting the cross member?

If the inspection cover is off then that means that the two rods that bolt to the cover are already gone, so that can't be it.

You might just need to do some light prying between the flywheel and the torque converter. They tend to stick together a little bit. Beyond that, I don't know. Good luck.

<font color=green>"It is generally not adviseable to eject directly over the area you just bombed"</font color=green>

4. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Should be six bolts and two guide pins on the bell housing to engine interface. If all six bolts are removed, use a pry bar between the flex plate and torque converter and pry the two halves apart, for safety sake, make sure both halves (engine and transmission) are supported. The guide pins are a tight fit and are located between the bottom two bolts on either side of the engine block. There may be a little corrosion or crude built up in them. Make sure you remove the TV cable.

5. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

How about the starter? Im having trouble picturing everything required in my head. But I think the starter needs to come off too. And NO BIG HAMMER.

tRustyk5 for President!!![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

6. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

Hey B,
    I thought a BFH solved everything! Isn't that how it works, won't come off, beat the sh!t out of it? That's what I always do, lol. Time for class, later.

-BuSH
    '83 K5 Blazer
    '98 Monte Carlo z34

7. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Thanks everyone so far but I've done everything listed! [​IMG] The body is off &amp; EVRYTHING else is gone. I've got the tranny hooked up to some chains on my cherry picker &amp; the t-case is gone. It's just the engine &amp; tranny sitting there in the bare frame. No wires, lines, nothing!
    I replied to Wheels' post cause it seems like the only thing that might be it. I'm hoping it's just stuck &amp; need a little friendly push!!

BTW, the t/c is spinning freely by hand so it's not stuck to the flywheel.

Also, are the 2 engine mounts enough to support the engine or does the back end of it need some support when the tranny is gone?
    Many thanks again for the replies &amp; if someone else thinks it's something other than just "stuck on", please reply.

Brian
    89KBlazer

Build it Right or Don't build it at all!!

8. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Without the cab on there, the motor will tilt back without "hurting" anything. Usually you would have to worry about the distributor or back of the block hitting the firewall. I would advise against it though because that can't be too good for the mounts. All you need to do is get something (wide and flat) to support the oil pan and you should be set.

See my rig at <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot</a>