Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700r4 removal......

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by danzoso, May 20, 2003.

1. danzoso

danzoso Newbie

Hello eveyone! I am about to undertake my first AT removal. The front seal gave out and now I am going to attempt the replacement. Anyone have any tips or suggestions to aid me in the process? About how much does an automatic trans weigh? Your input is greatly appreciated.

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

disconnect the battery
    jack the truck up if you don't have enough room under it without jacking it up.
    pull both drive-lines. if you have a slip yoke rear then use a rattle paint can lid and duck-tape it to the rear when you pull the drive-line that will keep the fluid from going everyplace
    disconnect the speedo cable.
    remove starter
    disconnect shifters
    disconnect kick down cable
    disconnect weiring from tranny
    remove inspection cover that covers the flywheel
    remove the 4 converter bolts
    remove the bottom 4 bell-housing bolts
    put tranny jack under tranny and take the 2 tranny mount bolts out
    take the 4 cross-member bolts out
    slightly lower tranny then get the top 2 bell-housing bolts
    pull tranny back-wards slightly and start to slowly lower
    if you need bolt sizes let me know /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    also check out this thread
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=garage&Number=753861&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

3. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

Nevermind, Mudhog explained things far better than me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Trigger

Trigger Registered Member

What's the easiest way to get to the top bolts? I have been trying to figure that one out for awhile now. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. mudhog

with a looooooooooonnnnnngggg extension and a swivel socket

6. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

you might want to pull your distributor cap and your ground strap off first. I had my brother remove my transmission because i was pressed for time and he didnt do theat and let the motor drop and broke both. Needless to say my brother dont work on my truck no more!!!

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    What's the easiest way to get to the top bolts?

[/ QUOTE ]
    On older trucks you can just lift the carpet and remove the access panel over the tranny/transfer case. But somewhere along the way GM decided that they should glue that panel to the floor. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif On those rigs, you'll need to break out the 2-foot extension and wobble joint and spend some time swearing under your truck. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

8. mudhog

i would be looking at your motor mounts then because that should not happen /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

9. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

there probably worn out like everything else. this summer its getting a new engine. the 400 thats in it has approx 290,000 miles on it and it needs heads in the worst way!! Trying to find a donor truck for a fuel injection swap out.

10. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What's the easiest way to get to the top bolts? I have been trying to figure that one out for awhile now

[/ QUOTE ]

Remove the transfer case and crossmember, let the transmission tail end sag down under the truck, then the top bolt's are real easy to get to.
    I've done this way too many times.. thank god I'm doing away with the 700r4... anyone want a "core" 700r4"? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Basically, I stick all of my extensions together and put a U-joint on the back of the socket. It's great to do around sunset with the truck facing east /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. Otherwise, just get a good work light behind you. It's hard to do if you can't see.

12. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I bought some GearWrench wrenches. They're flat ( no angle) and they fit right in there and ratchet away!

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You guys keep thanking God for those huge hands he gave you. Before I had a body lift I simply reached from the top to take out my bellhousing bolts. Much easier that way.