Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 replaced, very impressive results.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Derf00, Jul 11, 2003.

1. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I know there are a lot of you who detest the 700R4 and think they all should be replaced with 400's or manual trannies. Since the Jimmy is still a daily driver I wasn't willing to give up OD and the low first gear, I opted to go with a custom built 700R4 built by Phoenix Transmissions of Weathford, TX.

If first impressions and a company's place of business mean anything, this should be an awsome transmission. Their building is a fully air-conditioned facility that is immaculately clean. Their first step was a sit down discussion to check all the specs of the vehicle, engine mods, cam, gears, etc. Since we live close enough to Weathford, we took our transmission to them rather than just buying one and having it shipped to us, which saved $$. It took two days to rebuild and then I sent my wife to pick-up our spotlessly clean, shrink wrapped case and seperately packaged torque converter.

For anyone wanting a professionally built 700R4 by some guys that know what they are doing, I would highly recommend them. The new transmission really enhances the performance of the 383. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you found a really good shop! Congrats on the new tranny. What all did you have done? What did the charge?

Kris

3. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I like the attention to detail you described! Does Phoenix have a web site? What is the price of a tranny if it is bought from them? Any other details like performance upgradws?
    Thanks for the information!

4. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Here is their web-site, Phoenix Transmissions

The following is a brief list of what they do:

Hardened steel pump rings and vanes, improved pressure regulator spring, high output reverse boost valve assy., .500 t.v. boost valve, modified lockup circuit, modified lube circuit.

Increased clutch capacity on 3-4 clutch pack, high energy carbon /Kevlar clutches and 2-4 band.
    Re-machine reverse input drum to make concentric. Modified "Corvette" 2-4 servo assy, rework valve body and governor for improved shift timing and lube oil.

Aluminum Lockup solenoid snout, 29 element input sprag, new low reverse sprag, replacement torrington bearings and updated reaction carrier shell.

The price is based upon each individuals needs, but by using my case to rebuild, they did knock off $150 off the list price, plus I got a little extra for sending him some other business.

5. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

congrats.. the best part is when you get it back and put it in.. and everything works.. even better than you expected.

I had a turbo 400 in my truck... my wife was driving it and called me up to tell me that on turns the truck wouldnt go... so i asked her what did she do... she said.. oh i just stepped on the gas more then it went.... DOH!!!!!!
    well that costed me a rebuild....

since i am a hick i just use junkyard stuff... but i ordered new clutches and bands and a heavy duty torque converter and a b$m stage 2 shift kit..... totaling $130...
    3 hrs later she was out then back in..... when doing the shift kit.. it had a plate and told you what holes to drill.. it told you which ones make a harder shift and the sort... also told you smallest and biggest drill bits to use... well we went 2 under the biggest....
    THAT BABY HAD NO PROBLEM CHIRPIN 33's WITH 450k miles on the motor!!!!!!

but now i am with the stick (smc465) and will never go back to automatic... now on a daily driver i would put in a nv4500 or nv5600........
    but hey that is just my opinion.......

may you put that 383 power to use now!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif