Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 ??'s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by lason, Jun 9, 2004.

1. lason

lason 1/2 ton status

700R4 ??\'s

OK on my '86 Im about to attempt to rebuild the 700R4 myself but wanted to see if anyone knew what the problem was before I started on it. The guy I bought the truck from said that he was going down the road and all of a sudden it felt as if he threw the shifter into neutral so he pulled over to see if he had spit any parts all over the road and everything looked fine. So he pulled away and it did fine untill it hit 3rd then nothing, and it is still that way. I was thinking that the 3-4 gear clutches are toast but just wanted to see if anyone else had this problem and found the reason behind it. Also the rebuild kit I plan on getting is this one...........

http://www.kdsperformance.com/hoscomkitwke.html

along with the manual and video. Is there anything else anyone can think of other than a new converter that I would need to have a quality tranny? I was also shown this place today and it looks like a pretty good deal on a hopped up 700R4 but I just really wasnt wanting to dump that kind of cash right now, hence why I am wanting to do the rebuild myself.

http://www.fearthemonster.com/transmissions/megamonster/heavyduty/700r4/

Anyway any ideas or comments would be appreciated. O yeah Im also thinking about ditching the auto all together and doing a sm465 swap but I dont know if it would be worth it.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: 700R4 ??\'s

[ QUOTE ]
    Is there anything else anyone can think of other than a new converter that I would need to have a quality tranny?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. A TH 400 and a 32 spline input transfer case and driveshafts to go with it.

Otherwise an SM 465 with a transfer case and driveshafts that bolt to it.

ANYTHING is better than being stuck with a 700R4.

3. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

You might want to put a shift kit in the trans while you have it out. Also you are going to need a few special tools to do the Job. I just finished a 700-R4 my self and there are a few tools that you can not do with out. If you have and questions fell free to ask I a good amount about the 700-R4

4. lason

lason 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You might want to put a shift kit in the trans while you have it out. Also you are going to need a few special tools to do the Job. I just finished a 700-R4 my self and there are a few tools that you can not do with out. If you have and questions fell free to ask I a good amount about the 700-R4

[/ QUOTE ]

What tools specifically and where could I find them? I looked at a local tranny shop that sells tranny specific tools but they want and arm and a leg for them. They wanted like $110 for this tool that looks like a steering wheel puller /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. 1979jimmy350

some of the tools cost a lot and there is no where to get them cheap. I just called all the tranny shops in my area and found one that did the steps that require special tools for free. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

yep sounds like the 3rd-4th clutches are burnt up. you may wanna check the member discount forum /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif there maybe someone who can get you a better deal on EVERYTHING you need /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

i feel that a 700r4 is worth the extra to spend on rebuilding it. a stock 700r4 is usually worthless, but once you rebuild it with upgrades, its better and stronger. its still not as strong as a th400 though.

7. lason

lason 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    yep sounds like the 3rd-4th clutches are burnt up. you may wanna check the member discount forum /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif there maybe someone who can get you a better deal on EVERYTHING you need /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

i feel that a 700r4 is worth the extra to spend on rebuilding it. a stock 700r4 is usually worthless, but once you rebuild it with upgrades, its better and stronger. its still not as strong as a th400 though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup that is what i was thinking too. This wont be my dd though so Im not too set on having od, but it would be nice. Like I said above though Im also considering doing a sm465/205 swap also but I dont know if the strength would offset how much time and money it would cost vs. fixing what I got now. I think my biggest problem is that I havent even been able to take this thing wheelin and its driving me nuts just watching it sit in the driveway. I may post up in the wanted forum to see if anyone has the whole setup for the swap and just be done with it but it may take away from my rock crwling abilities if I ever decide to start crawlin.

O yeah and a PM is about to be sent /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

First off I wouldn't try to rebuild a th700, they are more complicated than a 350 or 400.

Find a shop that knows what the hell they are doing and get the late model rear planetaries and sprags that are 30% larger than stock, an aftermarket sun gear because the stock one is pathetically thin, aftermarket torque converter with a billet center hub, yada yada...There are a few more things in my th700 that I can't remember anymore since it was rebuilt and it wasn't all that expensive. Around $1,500.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I did my SM 465 swap for about half the cost of a rebuilt 700R4.

Manual isn't the answer to everyone's problems in my opinion, but getting rid of a 700R4 is a good idea in most cases.

10. 1979jimmy350

My 700 rebuild only ran me around $300. I also started with a late model case and did the work my self. The price also included the out put shaft so I could run a NP 203
    behind my 700.

11. lason

lason 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    First off I wouldn't try to rebuild a th700, they are more complicated than a 350 or 400.

Find a shop that knows what the hell they are doing and get the late model rear planetaries and sprags that are 30% larger than stock, an aftermarket sun gear because the stock one is pathetically thin, aftermarket torque converter with a billet center hub, yada yada...There are a few more things in my th700 that I can't remember anymore since it was rebuilt and it wasn't all that expensive. Around $1,500.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    just really wasnt wanting to dump that kind of cash right now, hence why I am wanting to do the rebuild myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said, I dont want to dump that kind of cash right now. I dont mind trying to re-do my own tranny, the worse I can do is learn some new stuff. Unlike alot of people I dont like paying people to do anything on my cars or trucks and would rather screw them up myself so I have no one to blame but myself. I know it will be complicated but I am getting hte video that walks you through it so at least I can see what all is involved before I dive into it blindly. Also that is a pretty good price on your rebuild. I keep getting quoted around $1200 for an almost stock rebuild minus the converter.

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I did my SM 465 swap for about half the cost of a rebuilt 700R4.

Manual isn't the answer to everyone's problems in my opinion, but getting rid of a 700R4 is a good idea in most cases.

[/ QUOTE ]I personally would go sm465. If you can find a donor truck with one cheap enough, there ya go, all the parts you'd need, and you can see how everything go's. Just a thought. I do want a 700r4 for my El Camino, but we're talking alot less wieght, and a completely different useage.

13. lason

lason 1/2 ton status

Yeah, like I said, Im open to the 465 swap just for the strength factor of the gear box and the 205 and if I run across one I may jump on it. O yeah and Im a sucker for three pedal vehicles /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    just really wasnt wanting to dump that kind of cash right now, hence why I am wanting to do the rebuild myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said, I dont want to dump that kind of cash right now. I dont mind trying to re-do my own tranny, the worse I can do is learn some new stuff. Unlike alot of people I dont like paying people to do anything on my cars or trucks and would rather screw them up myself so I have no one to blame but myself. I know it will be complicated but I am getting hte video that walks you through it so at least I can see what all is involved before I dive into it blindly. Also that is a pretty good price on your rebuild. I keep getting quoted around $1200 for an almost stock rebuild minus the converter.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Well, I use my K5 daily and can't afford to have it down for long. I dropped it off at the tranny shop on a Thursday afternoon and picked it up the next day right after lunch...now thats fast! If I didn't need it everyday than I might have considered trying it myself. I look at it like this...if you screw it up yourself and wind up having to take it to a shop ANYWAY than you would have a bunch of money into, what you wasted trying to do it yourself and then whatever the shop build costs.

You mentioned this isn't your DD...Why would you want to keep the Th700? The whole idea of a 700 is for fuel economy, lighter weight, and easier driveability. I would just slap in a th400 or do your 465 swap instead of dumping a bunch of dough into a 700 that you aren't going to need.

15. lason

lason 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You mentioned this isn't your DD...Why would you want to keep the Th700? The whole idea of a 700 is for fuel economy, lighter weight, and easier driveability. I would just slap in a th400 or do your 465 swap instead of dumping a bunch of dough into a 700 that you aren't going to need.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what Im leaning towards. The reason for keeping the 700 is simplicity. I would only need to get the parts to fix the tranny and go vs. hunting down a turbo 400 or 465 then the adapter and new t-case if needed and so on. Plus the steep 3.06 first gear is nice too. Im leaning towards just doing a swap though and getting it over with. If I gotta do it I maight as well make it as bulletproof as I can in the process.

16. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what Im leaning towards. The reason for keeping the 700 is simplicity. I would only need to get the parts to fix the tranny and go vs. hunting down a turbo 400 or 465 then the adapter and new t-case if needed and so on. Plus the steep 3.06 first gear is nice too. Im leaning towards just doing a swap though and getting it over with. If I gotta do it I maight as well make it as bulletproof as I can in the process.

[/ QUOTE ]
    That is what I would do. If you don't need your K5 everyday than you have time to work out those swapping bugs that can really slow stuff down. It sux sometimes when doing big mods on your DD because you need the damn thing. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Took me 2 days to swap motors, 3 days to do the body lift and 3/4 axles, 1 day to do the suspension lift....basically I have never had it down for more than 3 days and obviously, that doesn't leave much time for figuring out how to get around swapping problems that arise. If you have the time then go for it! I always had the idea in the back of my head of swapping in an NV4500 but couldn't afford the downtime.

17. lason

lason 1/2 ton status

Yeah the nv4500 would be nice but while you cant afford the downtime I just plain cant afford the pricetag, lol. I should have my last project sold this weekend so that will give me about $2500-3000 to dump into the K5 but I am trying to manage that so I can get as much done that I want/need to as possible like new tires, fix tranny, re-do the lift kit and also start thinking about what I am going to do with the toothpick 10 bolts that I have.

18. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

What it could be is the govenor gear. But before you do anything you need to give Pheonix Transmissions in Weatherford, Tx. a call and see what they can do for you. My Jimmy is running there 700R4 HD 4x4 version and its a very well built unit and they do very good work. You won't be disapointed by their work /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

19. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah the nv4500 would be nice but while you cant afford the downtime I just plain cant afford the pricetag, lol.

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

20. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

GOLLY GEE, why wouldn't I want the 700r4...................The lower first gear is nice, the OD is nice. But I know, They suck....HMMM???/ I wonder how mine has lasted this long??

I tell ya what, I love my 700. It has been great. I keep hearing about how much they suck but I have had this one rebuilt once right when I bought the rig and it was a DD.
    I spent the extra dough and had it built by a guy with a great rep with the 700's. I have since drive and wheeled the piss out of it. Personally, I think most of the trash talk about the 700 is just that, TRASH.