Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700r4 shift kit advice

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by lunchbox, Dec 12, 2006.

1. lunchbox

lunchbox 1/2 ton status

im about to put in a used 700r4 transmission in place of my old bust one and before i did that i wanted to have a shop put a shift kit in the new one .what kind of kit should i look for and who makes a good one? also what stall convertor should i use, 700r4, 35's ,and soon to be 4.10 gears?

2. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have talked to alot of trans rebuilders and it seems the shift kit is almost a preferance thing. So basically I would ask your rebuilder which one he likes I personally have used B & M kits before and they are fine. I would use a stock stall converter, or a towing specific converter. Some of these can get very expensive.

3. lunchbox

lunchbox 1/2 ton status

when you say preference thing, do you mean that it doesnt make a difference if you use a shift kit or not? sorry for the confusion.

4. jk5blazer

jk5blazer 1/2 ton status

Here is the company I went with. I got the Kevlar cluches and the po boy kit. Thing shifts like a bitch from 1 to 2. I really like it.

http://www.700raptor.com/

5. NateInChandler

NateInChandler 1/2 ton status

shift kit and money in the same sentence is stupid, if you want a little harder of a shift 1-2 take off the accumulator in the pan, its the alluminum cup shaped thing towards the rear of the trans with 3 bolt holding it on, theres two ways you can do this, you can drill and tap the feed hole for the accumulator or you can put a second piston stacked on the 1st one with no spring.. this will give you a better 1-2 shift and can be done with the trans and valve body in the vehicle.... Nate

6. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I put a B&M kit in mine. did it in the truck. its easy. I have a 2800 stall converter. I like it. but some people will tell you thats too high. Its what my engine builder recommended, I listened.

7. scooter122983

scooter122983 1/2 ton status

get a b&m and then only use the rv parts, the street strip is to quick for our app, then get a 2000 stall convertor with lock up other wise the tranny will not operate correctly. also if you want b&m makes another kit that will quicken your shifts and make the tranny a manual vb.
    also ive heard that the best stock converter is of a 95 s-10 4.3 v6

8. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

I went with the transgo shift correction kit and the corvette servo, great 1-2 shift. If that's not enough they have a billet servo but someone said that's to much.

9. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I used a TCI transcat kit and Jet 1-2, 3-4 servos. I also used a TCI HD/towing converter. The converter is great. The shift kit (I just used the HD/.towing stuff is too vicious for my taste. 1-2 shifts at WOT feel like they're going to break something very fast. I'm going to put the stock acumulator spring back in as it acts as a kind of shock absorber during shifts. The servos give a stronger hold which is good but these vicious shifts are for Camaro boys....not me!