Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700r4 shift kit...fix my problem?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by oh-zj-io, Oct 28, 2006.

1. oh-zj-io

oh-zj-io Registered Member

Hey!

I am putting a 700r4 from an 84 K10 into my 88 K5. Reason, I already own both and need a tranny for the K5. The 700 in the K10, upon first start of the day takes an extra amount of time to shift to 2nd and when it does it shifts very hard...bang kind of thing. Once it does this it appears to be fine and back to normal.

Does this sound like something that might be taken care of with a shift kit install? They say they take care of late shifts and slipping, etc. Thoughts?

Also, I am mildly mechanical and the kits come with instructions and say they can be installed while the tranny is still on the vehicle. Never been inside a tranny except to change a filter, adjust a band, and change out a sensor or two. Should I be OK doing the shift kit install myself?

Thanks,
    Al

2. ssped

ssped 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Have you tried additive? fixe mine for a while when I got it. Just a thought.

3. oh-zj-io

Hey!

What/which additive?

I constantly check fluid levels and keep them changed so I know that's not been the problem, but, never really thought about an additive.

Thansk,
    Al

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

It's time for a filter change.
    Fluid cannot go thru the filter fast enough when it's cold/thick.
    Change the fluid while you are at it too you will feel the difference right away.

5. oh-zj-io

Hey!

I'll do the filter and fluid change. Was planning that for when I did the shift kit. Maybe that's my only problem, but, you think the shift kit is worth doing anyway?

The parts will just cost me around $50 or so. Is it 'easy' enough to do that I should just do it as a preventitive thing??

Still asking if it's something a semi-mechanical person can do easily, I guess.

Thanks,
    Al

6. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

As long as you're up on the coffee curve and take your time, you should be fine.

7. oh-zj-io

Hey!

:D Thanks. Up a little late, or is it early, for you on your CA time!! Does that have anything to do with the coffee curve??? :wink1:

Al

8. ssped

ssped 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

We got a time change here today. I slept in for 2 hours and am up right on time.

They have additives to improve shift quality if the seals are getting worn in the tranny. they sell them at any auto part store.

9. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Like ssped mentioned, we just got turbo time, and I do normally get-up at 01:00.
    I also just remembered reading from more than one site, DO NOT KIT THE 700R4! Visit Bowtie Overdrive. Not sure about other kits, but kits for TH350 work really well.:D
    You can also improve the performance with syn ATF like Mobil1, or use HiPo ATF like TrickShift from B&M.

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

That trick shift from B&M is just a Type F ATF, like the one ford uses, it doesn't have the friction modifiers you find in the mercon dexIII.