Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 shift kit question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigred85, Oct 26, 2004.

1. bigred85

bigred85 Registered Member

This may be a stupid question, but here it goes.

I am having my 700r4 rebuilt at a reputable shop, and the mechanic wants to put in a shift kit.

What is the shift kit for?? What will it do?? How will it effect my driving???

Thanks for the help! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

a shift kits makes slightly firmer, more positive shifts which helps the tranny to last longer, and on a 700r4 also solves some problems. you will feel a firmer shift, not uncomfortable though.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Most shift kits can be installed with 1 of 3 different settings:

Firm, firmer, and "stun". /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif The first setting is plenty firm enough for most folks. The 3rd setting will bark the tires on every upshift, even if you aren't hard into the throttle. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

As far as what a "shift kit" is. Shift kits are a modification that will indeed improve flow and produce firm shifts. In a TH350 trans. excellent results.
    I'm not a fan of shift kits in the 700r4 trans. only because even the tamest kit will produce "harsh" shifts. There are ways to improve the flow and shift quality of this particular trans. without sacrificing shift quality.