Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 shifting too soon....fix?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by seslick77, Nov 13, 2002.

1. seslick77

seslick77 1/2 ton status

Hey fellas!! Well I did a diesel to gas swap on my 82 Blazer, its sporting a 400 now. I swapped out to a rebuilt Torque converter from a local rebuild shop, and put in a new governor for a 350 gas. Dang thing still shifts too soon!! I floor it from a stop and it hits 3rd gear at 35 mph!! Will a shift kit help this? How about the TV cable, does it have anything to do with when it shifts? Any other ideas?

I know this motor has got some balls, but the tranny won't let it show em off!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Thanks, Sam /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Yes you have to adjust the TV cable, and are you sure that the TC was for a gasser, the Diesel TC is low low stall.

3. seslick77

seslick77 1/2 ton status

Stall unknown... Told the guy I had a gasser when I bout it. TV cable is adjusted. I tightened it then "floored" the accellerator and herd it ratchet and left it like that. Thats what the Chilton manual says to do... FYI I had it completely loose at first on accident and it didn't hold the gears any longer...

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

OK one more thing to check, does the 700 have a vaccum actuator?
    If it does check it and check your vaccum, vaccum too low could do this.

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Wait a second here, did you say you put a 350 governor in the 700?
    Are you sure the weights and springs are the right choice for your tranny?
    I would compare it with a 700 governor.
    If the weights are toomuch or the springs are too weak, the it will shift early.
    Sorry just noticed that now when I was reading again from the begining.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. seslick77

seslick77 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif lol!! Sorry bout that governor for a 350 engine for a 700 tranny. Sorry for the confusion. You know the dealer allways wants engine size... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Where would I look for a vacuum actuator? When I did the engine swap. I didn't notice any vacuum lines going to the tranny. Just the TV cable which I swapped out for a gas one, and electrical lines.

7. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

The 700r doesn't have any vauume lines. Sorry I don't have my book in the house at the moment but right of hand I would say it's your TV cable
    I just got mine back from the shop and they had it shifting way to soon Hell I'd in 3rd by the time I got across the street, And it was way to soft on the shift So this past weekend I put in a shift kit, I had already adjusted the TV Cable but now with the kit in it's a hell of a lot better. I hope I put it in right haha.

Eric

8. Great78burb

Great78burb Registered Member

I know that all the manuals say to adjust the TV cable by opening the throttle all the way, but there is some room for experimentation. Just move it in or out a couple clicks at a time and then test drive it. I don't remember which direction does what, but that cable controls the Throttle Valve, which regulates line pressure to the shift valves. This coupled with the governor (road speed), tells the tranny when to shift. I may not be exact on the science here, but a little experimentation is ok. Just don't go all the way in or out, or run it disconnected! /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

9. 83_K5

83_K5 Registered Member

I used to have the same problem with mine, but the last time I had the motor apart I installed a "TV made EZ" linkage kit from Bowtie Overdrives. It has made a world of difference on my K5. The kit came with a pressure guage that you screw into a service port on the side of the tranny and you adjust the position of the slider until even the slightest touch of the cable give you a pressure increase. If you go to their website and go to the TV made EZ page they have good instructions on adjusting things. Good Luck. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

10. seslick77

seslick77 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the sugestions!! I'll try it tommorow if I get a chance. Didn't mess with it today, was busy building a work bench and moving stuff around the garage. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif It shifts hard coming out of first and the rest are pretty soft... I'll play with it and see what happens. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. Gary 86 K5

Gary 86 K5 1/2 ton status

did you ever fix it??? im having the exact same problem with mine, i havent tried adjusting the cable yet though /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

12. YtseJam

YtseJam 1/2 ton status

The TV adjustment is critical! Disconnect it from the throttle and move the cable, it should pull back on you when it releases over the tv valve. If ok hook it back up and adjust it in a few clicks and road test it, til you get it right.

13. Gary 86 K5

yeah im going to do it tomorrow, hopefully thats all it is /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

14. Gary 86 K5

well i adjusted it and its good to go now /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif thanks for the help /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif