Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700r4 - sm465 wiring questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dodgedude99, Oct 10, 2005.

1. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

ive searched, but i will admit, im lazy, i didnt feel like going thru the 1000 posts about the 465 soooo...

how do i go about connecting the neutral safety switch (its 2 thickier wires in purple and yellow) to the harness that formally had the 700r4 in.

also what about the pigtail thats on the tranny itself that i assume is for the back up lights.

thanks in advice.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Why would you want a neutral safety switch with a manual tranny? It's a good thing to be able to start it in gear, especially on the trail.

The wires up top are for back up lights.

Rene

3. dodgedude99

but am i going to run into any problems by not hooking the NSS up?
    like its not going to ground something out to the point im just going to be cranking and cranking on the motor hoping for it to start.

the backup lights (sorry the i drew a blank and just said reverse lights), where would i connect those to?

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

All you should need to do is install a jumper on the existing NSS. key on in park and back probe the switch noting which terminals have power. Put the current tranny in gear and note which terminal loses power. The one that loses power when in gear is the one that will need to get power whenever the key is 'on'...

For back up lights...I am not gonna be much help. I run tractor lights in the bumper using a toggle switch. :crazy:

Rene

5. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

I was hoping to find out about the reverse lights also. I had no luck and lost interest so I mounted two lights on the roog pointing backwards for backing up. God love the toggle switch. Who needs a thumb throttle when u can use a toggle switch. :D

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

when i did my conversion, i eft the neutral saftey switch wire plugged in and zip tied it to a wire loom way up under the dash.

for the reverse lights, there is a factory harness that plugs into the connector at the NSS runs threw a hole that is for the TCC for the 700r4, and plugs into the tranny.

7. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I did auto to maual by buying 2 trucks and putting my auto cab on the manual truck years ago... my father jumped the neutral safety switch and I have speaker wires running for my reverse lights... was 17 then...

gonna fix it right since I have the correct plug now... I will get the info on which wires i jumped for safety switch and where reverse lights are...

my digicam is broke.. fujifilm is fixing and wont have it for 1-2 weeks.... :doah:

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Not having a NSS saved my butt one night, that one time being able to start in gear made me a real believer. NSS might keep a dummy (hey I've done it) from starting the truck in gear because you assume it's in neutral and don't push the pedal down, but that's all it's there for. The two NSS wires on mine are just spliced together. I hate cutting/splicing factory stuff because it's usually got a good reason to be the way it is, but in this case, cutting is a good thing. Just make sure to insulate/protect the splice really good.

The reverse lights on the 465 are handled through a plug on the drivers side top of the tranny, early is a round two prong, (which sucks) later is a weatherpack connector. I don't recall the exact year split for that, may have been '85+ for weatherpack. If round, yuou really want that plug in place before you put the tranny in, the round connector at least is very hard to get back on because of it's location, BTDT.

The wiring for reverse lights has a connector (blue and green IIRC) in it, the harness for manual and auto is the same before that connector. Just find it and replace the auto end with the manual end. I assume the auto one is somehow mounted to the column?

9. dodgedude99

the tranny is from a 79, so it doesnt have the weather pack connectors.

i probaly should of lengthed the pigtails on the connector before i put the motor/tranny in last nite if its that hard to get back on.

and actually the steering column is in the back seat, i had to put the pedals in.
    blue and green, i will have to look when i get home later on.

offtopic, installing a 454 w/ the 465 and adapter attached isnt a fun job to do by yourself.

10. MoonMan

MoonMan Registered Member

I swapped my 73 K20 from a TH350 to SM465 and the wiring for the reverse lights was super simple. The backup light switch was wired into the column so all I had to do was unplug it and it plugged directly into the backup light harness that was on my donor truck (an 81 2wd BTW). This wire ran through an existing hole in the firewall (cab is an 85 with auto originally) and had the correct grommet at the right location on the wire to fill the hole in the firewall :thumb: . Then just run the wires back to the transmission and plug it in. A little piece of advice before you install the transmission, make sure that you replace the backup light switch as it is not very fun to do while in the truck :doah:

11. dyeager535

Just noticed on my truck that the blue and green wires connector is on the engine side of the firewall. FWIW

12. dodgedude99

passenger side or drivers side?

13. dyeager535

Drivers side, mine is running down near the booster. I wired this truck up though, so location might be a bit different factory.