Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700r4? stuck in 1st gear!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bablazer73, Jul 5, 2001.

1. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I pulled one of my trucks that been layin around and gettin ready to put it on the road but when I took it for a spin down the road, It wouldn't come out of 1st gear. The truck has been off the road for 2 years, layin around in various yards. everything worked last month when I brought it back home. I had to fix brake lines. when I drove it, it wouldn't shift. I really haven't had time to play with it yet. I hope to this week end. but lookin for any clues.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Has the TV cable maby come un hooked or broken?
    Did you check the fluid?

<font color=orange>GOT HORSEPOWER?</font color=orange>

3. lvmyK5

lvmyK5 Registered Member

I had this happen to me about one year after I go my 87 k5 it wouldn't shift to second but I could still use reverse too and after numerious (10-20) tranny shops told me I had to rebuild it one finally gave me a straight awnser

The 700r4 has a nylon gear that controlls shifts (sorry can't think of the name of it right off) but it can be replaced with the tranny still in the truck you acess it from the side and this only cost my ninty dollars (i had the shop do it because of thier honesty) so it could be cheaper if you do it yourself

I'll try to dig up the receipt to get the name of the part

You can never tell how deep it is untill your in the middle of it and usually thats to late

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I'll trade ya!!! I have NO 1st gear!! Sorry for the crack, i just know what your goin thru.

PUREINSANITY If ya can't stop,Smile as you go under![​IMG]I no longer have a photo album. thanx ZING![​IMG]

5. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What year is this rig? I know if its electronic that it won't let it shift out sometimes. In my S10 it wouldn't go past 2nd. I took it to a tranny shop and he gt out that nice expensive computer and we went for a spin. He told me to unhook the battery for a min if it happened again. The computer just wasn't letting it shift. Hrm...wonder why I got a rig now with no computer!!

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!

6. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

it is your governor gear. 9 bucks and some labor and your good to go. Mine did the same thing. good luck

7. bablazer73

I pulled the governer out tonight. It looks fine. gear is in good shape, valve moves freely with springs. I can't see the drive gear. exaust in way. I also checked the vacuum modulater. test ok. I am gonna pull the pan tomarrow night. Its an 84 3/4 ton 2x truck. early 700r4. It is pissen me off. I noticed since I parked it in the driveway there is antifreeze leaking down the firewall. guess I'll replace the heater core now!! I sold my wifes car and need to put this pig on the road. It WAS the only truck that was worth putting on the road!! well..... WAS!

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I second the TV cable thought. Check the throttle linkage and make sure that cable didn't pop off. 700R4 doesn't have a modulator, the TV cable replaces it.

Ratch
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5.8m.com>http://k5.8m.com</A>
    **K5 - What more is there to life?**

9. StoneyK5

StoneyK5 1/2 ton status

I drove mine to work one day and when I left it would not shift out of first, so I drove it to the tranny shop and they said it needed a rebuild...so a grand later it was fine for 3 yrs...then another rebuild....etc...

83K5 Silverado
    What was that bump?

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you're checking the vacuum modulator, you don't have a 700R4. 700R4s don't have vacuum modulators. The TV cable replaces that.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

11. bablazer73

I pulled the pan off the tranny and I think 1/2 the tranny was layin in the bottom! I don't know what happened but the tranny is out now!! I have a th350 and the driveshaft I will be putting in. It would have been nice to have the overdrive. This truck has 4.10 gears in it.

12. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

Just thought I would tell ya, Stay away from A-1 transmissions in albany. This goes for anyone in the upstate NY area.

You call that dirty!?