Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700r4 swap in for a TH350, TC case lever placement?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Desert Rat, Oct 15, 2004.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Anybody swap out a TH350 for a 700r4 in their Blazer? My understanding is that the TC case lever is going to move back about 1-3 inches. Solution? My bud's 86 pickup has a different TC setup and it seems the lever is slanted with a different boot and case so I thought maybe I could use that. Wondering if anybody has dealt with this before.

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the shifter will move back 1.75" inches, the length difference of the th350 and 700r4.

what tc do you have? im guessing the 203, if so the 208/241 probably wont work. not enough movement, plus you would have to modify the linkage on the 203 shifter, not sure exactly.

3. SUB-ZERO

SUB-ZERO 1/2 ton status

What engine and carb set up do you have?I have a 85 with a 305 and just swapped out the quadrajet for a Edelbrock and found that it affects the tranny tv(throttle valve) cable which the th350 doesn't have.I had to change out the spring in the valve body and the cable and linkage also.

4. Desert Rat

I have a 350 w/ an Edelbrock intake and Q-jet, and an NP205 TC. I'm having a tranny shop do the swap for me so they will do everything but I told them I would take care of the TC lever issue. I don't want to cut the tunnel excessively if there is another option. When I had my Bronco, and did a body lift, I took a torch to the lever and bent it to work. I was thinking of doing something similar, or swapping in a later year TC lever. Did the Blazer come with a 700r4 in later years?

5. SUB-ZERO

SUB-ZERO 1/2 ton status

My 85 came with a 700 from the factory but a 208.Thinking about a 205 or a doubler after I do my axles so I don't know about your 205 question though. Make sure they set up your TV cable right for you.

6. Desert Rat

I don't suppose you have a pic of what your transfer case lever looks like?

7. 73K5Kid

73K5Kid 1/2 ton status

I've done the swap in my old 73 k5 with help from my mechanic buddy. Do a search on this topic lots of good stuff. My userid 73k5kid has some posts about it. I moved my engine 1 3/4' forward so I would not have this problem. Here is a link that may help, it helped me understand the swap better.

http://www.off-road.com/4x4web/project/74blazer/tranny/tranny.html

8. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Just heat the lever and bend it, 2 90* bends and it'll come out the stock hole.

9. Desert Rat

That's kind of what I figured I'd end up doing. I'll wait and see how far off it is when I get it installed.

10. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Thought about it after writing that and 2 45* bends would be better. If the stick is too short you can get extensions at big rig truck parts places in different lengths and threads.