Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700r4 swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by guz71, Oct 5, 2006.

1. guz71

guz71 1/2 ton status

I did a search on this but i still have a question. Right now it has th350 mated to np205. From what i read, it mates up but you need a 2 inch spacer because the shaft is longer on the 700r4. So im guessing that is going to push my transfer case back 2 inches, causing me to need driveshafts? if so, is there a way i can just get a shorter output shaft?thanx in advance

2. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

Funny you should say that... Advance Adapters makes one.

For a 27 spline np205
    Your Price $172.50 [​IMG]SKU50-6900

Others are more.

3. guz71

guz71 1/2 ton status

4. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

you would be better off going with the spacer the short shaft when only using the 205 can cause drivline clearence problems with the tranny pan and the fron shaft

5. guz71

guz71 1/2 ton status

hmmm i see what you are saying. I have a 6 inch suspension lift, so that would change the angle up, but when flexed out im guessing it could be a problem.

6. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

Also, I think you would have to tear down the 700r4 to install the short shaft. A spacer is cheap and easy.

7. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i say more the 700r4 is longer(2in i think) then the th350 then add 2" more for the spacer neer 4 total you will need to get some better sizes on the trans

8. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I did the swap. Whatever you do, don't do the short shaft. What happens is that your NP205 then has the front output way too close to your tranny pan. You can't run anything larger than a 1310 CV up front. Eventually, I went with a doubler setup. Partially for the abilities the doubler provided, but also as a solution to not being able to run a larger CV because of the tranny pan clearance. In fact, I ended up going with a HAD front driveshaft with a 42 degree CV which is monstrous. Check out these threads:

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169446&highlight=700r4
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183822
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177118

9. guz71

guz71 1/2 ton status

okey doke, im going to run the spacer. How much should i expect to pay for the driveshafts?? Looking at those pictures reminds me. The guy that had the truck before me, swapped in the np205 and kept the on the floor shift indicator for the n241....well it doesnt work, so you have to know what gear you are in. Where can i get a slick looking shifter knobs like that? thanx alot for the help yall.

10. Desert Rat

11. guz71

guz71 1/2 ton status

alrighty thanx, i checked lmc and they didnt have them so ill check the other two later.

12. 73K5Kid

73K5Kid 1/2 ton status

Guz71 when I did the 700r4 swap in my 73 k5 I used a 700r4 out of a 87 blazer and bought the output shaft from advanced adapters. I also purchased from summit a lock up kit and a tranny cooler. I moved my engine up 1 7/8 if I remeber correctly. This made it easier I had no problems with engine clearence and I did not have to mess with my drive shafts. If you do a search you may find my old post. Here is a link that I used when I did the swap it has some good info.

http://www.off-road.com/4x4web/project/74blazer/tranny/tranny.html

13. Desert Rat

Did you use and NP205 or an NP203? That makes a big difference. And, what driveshafts did you use on the front? If you retain the stock 1310 CV, then clearance isn't a big issue with the tranny pan. If you want to do a 1350 CV, then it causes headaches. Here is a pic of an NP205 mated up to a 700r4 on a 76 Blazer with a stock 1310 CV shaft. You can see how close the CV is to the pan. You can imagine how close a 1350 would be.

[​IMG]

14. guz71

guz71 1/2 ton status

There building my 700r4 right now, im going to run the shorter output shaft for now due to cost issues with buying new driveshafts. Im really wanting to run the 1 ton axles now so when i buy new rims and tires i wont have to buy new rims again.....plus the 10 bolts are about grenade on me as well.Its not the best decision, but its what im stuck with for now.

15. Desert Rat

It's a pay now or pay later game. Just keep in mind that to swap the longer output shaft back in is going to cost you some serious dough. In fact, I might not have done a doubler had I done the spacer route. The doubler is what solved my issue with tranny pan clearance, but at a very high cost. If you plan on upgrading your front shaft later, you will very much regret doing the short shaft. You shouldn't have to buy new shafts anyway. A local shop should be able to extend your front shaft for relatively cheap.