Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700r4 temp problem?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by camok5, Jul 7, 2005.

1. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a 700r4 that was rebuilt by bowtie overdrive about 1 year ago and it runs really hot when going up, some what long steep grades. It runs great the rest of the time even when offroading and all other conditions. It will heat up in any gear not just overdrive, plus I do have a aftermarket tranny cooler. :confused:

2. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

You may be overworking your tranny by having too low a ratio of rearend gears.

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You say "really hot", what do you consider really hot? A 700R4 like somewhere between 160-190 on average. Yes the tranny will run hotter if pulling a steep grade or working it by pulling a trailer but shouldn't get more than 210 or so if you have a good aftermarket cooler in conjunction with the factory cooler in the radiator.

4. camok5

I dont think 4.56 with 35's should be a problem with gearing and it will get up to 220 degrees(just touching the red on the guage) :( . Its running through a new radiator cooler and a aftermarket cooler.

5. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Put another cooler on

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

What kind of cooler is the aftermarket cooler? Is it a stacked plate design or a fin and tube? I had a B&M stacked plate cooler of the largest variety and it NEVER got over 160 EVER. That cooler decided to leak on me and i had to remove it.

7. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

The choice of coolers makes a huge difference. I use to run a summit cooler and would still hit 220-230 with no load. I put in a Tru Cool cooler and maxed out at 210 pulling my 27' trailer on a grade. Not on a grade I was at 150-180 all day long. This is what I went with.
    http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/m...9-1&Category_Code=tru-cool-hd&Product_Count=4

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

just a few Qs?
    Where is your temp sender mounted?
    what kind of cooler?
    What gear ratio?
    How hot is it getting?

9. camok5

On the side of the tranny pan
    not sure what kind of cooler, it came with the blazer
    4.56 with 35'' tires
    about 220

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Well except the gears you are set up like mine. When I pull long steep grades on the highway in the summer my stock 700 temps get 200- 225 or so. But it cools right back down when I go down hill. Runs 150 -175 all the other time. offroad or on.
    It really doesn't hurt 700s to get hot for short periods of time. What really kills them is when the tranny fluid cooks and looses all its lubricating properties. Just keep clean fresh oil in it all the time and it should be fine.

I have over 100K on my stock 700. I tow a lot. My k5 has done towing duity since it was new. I even use overdrive when I tow in the flats. Change fluid at least every 10K. Tranny is still in great shape. Gettin ready to tow my boat down the the coast and back. I do this annually its about a 1200 mile tow.
    700s really are not as bad of trannys as some on this board say they are.
    Personally I like them. They are just as strong as a TH350.