Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 Temperature Range

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by caryhenry, Apr 2, 2003.

1. caryhenry

caryhenry Registered Member

I just installed my tranny temp gauge today, and I wanted to know what everyone elses AT's run at.

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

AWWWW man, I just put a stall converter in mine and it has an instruction sheet /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif that notes the ideal running temp. for a tranny. Think I can remember what it was? Of course not. Ill take a look tommororw when I get to the shop.

3. jberg62

jberg62 1/2 ton status

I mjust put a new gauge in mine too.
    The optimum temp is 150-160, if you can keep it in that range your transmission will live a long and happy life.
    I've got a B&M gauge and the sending unit is installed in the pan's drain plug; which comes out the side of the pan. That's the only place to get a truly accurate temp.
    Yes, I've gotta make a nice skid plate to cover the entire area below the pan very soon.

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Mine stays around 150 or a little above pretty consistently. A couple of times it's bumped 180 when going up a hill on the interstate because the torque converter unlocks, but then it goes back down. I take it easy when I see it climbing much past 160 or so.

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Most all trans fluid manufactures recomend a fluid temp between 150 and 165 degrees with 160-165 being the optimimum temp.Constant Fluid temps of 180 degrees can degrade the fluid by as much as 50 % shorting the fluids life drasticly.
    Wore out fluid = wore out tranny /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif