Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700r4 thoughts?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Khi5in, Jul 28, 2002.

1. Khi5in

Khi5in Registered Member

I,ve posted a couple things on my 700 trans. Ended up picking a used one for 50 bucks of a friend of mine(such a deal /forums/images/icons/grin.gif ).Anyhow it seems to be working ok after adjust the tv cable a million times. My problem and questions are I am going to use this truck to plow snow can a 700 take the pounding of a plow or am i gonna lose some time and money not to mention frezzin my nuts off by plowing with this? I was thinking goin with the old reliable 350 trans but i know my work is cut out for me with the conversion. What to do? What to do????????????????

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

If you plan on plowing you should install a large stacked-plate auxilliary tranny cooler. This will help keep the tranny cool since you'll be spending a lot of your time at lower speeds. Another thing in your favor is the 700s really build heat in OD, and I would bet that you'll be doing most of your work in 1st or 2nd gear.

The fact that it will be cold out should help too!!! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

3. tipoil

tipoil 1/2 ton status

if u use ur head it CAN live ..
    a lot of truck have theme here and it works but have to be "softer" on it!! heavy duty trans cooler,4low,fresh fluid and filter,AND THE MOST INPORTANT....CORRECT ADJUSTMENT OF THE TV CABLE BE CAREFUL WEN DOING IT!!!

hope it helped u a bit ..

4. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

My 84K10 came with the plow package from GM and was used for plowing snow for four years where 300" comes down each season. It came with a large transmission cooler (1/3 the size of the radiator) for the 700R4 among a slew of other things. I'm pretty sure it's the original transmission.

When the torque converter isn't locking up is when these transmissions die. Usually this happens when some goofball is towing in overdrive or going up and down large hills with their land barge. If it shifts out of overdrive more than once every five miles on the highway then it's time to run in third gear. If you can feel the torque converter locking and unlocking all the time then it's time to drop to third.

5. Khi5in

Khi5in Registered Member

Thanks for the help guys. Tranny cooler a must get