Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700R4 TICK?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Oct 2, 2003.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Has anyone ever had a 700R4 make a ticking noise? My truck has pretty loud exuast but I can hear it pretty good over it when I get on the gas some times it wont do it all the time. Just seems like some times when I get on it a little bit it does it(never done it under WOT). It's happened in forward and in reverse and did it once off road. Any idea's? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Either your flexplate is cracked or your front pump is about to come apart or both.

3. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Check the torque converter bolts to make sure they arent loose and hitting the inspection cover.

4. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Im not sure what the front pump is could you explain that?
    Also my buddy ran around with out a inspecion cover is that safe to do?

5. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Torque Converter chatter is what I have heard it called. Mine does it too /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif It got better after I flushed it, but it is burning the fluid again so I suspect the converter is going bad.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I ran without the inspection cover for a long time and never cared, but you're more likely to crack the tranny case that way if you beat your truck.

Front pump is the thing the torque converter turns. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

both times i heard the infamous ticking in the tranny
    ended up being a cracked flexplate.
    i also have been told that if you run without
    the inspection cover , you will get stress cracks
    in the tranny case. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Probably two types of "chatter", one being the torque converter clutch in TCC applications, the other being worn out bushings/washers in the converter.

Buddy JUST went through this on the 700R4 in his Astro. Tranny made noise only in park/neutral. In gear no noise. Took converter out on recommendation from transmission shop friend, put in new, no more noise.

Check the flexplate thought, that is so common that anytime you think the tranny is making noise, that should be the FIRST thing to look at.

9. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

If it is the flex plate whats the worse that could happen?
    If it brakes do you just have to replace it or does it usually mess somthing up?

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Probably starts to put uneven loads on stuff. The flexplate is pretty darn thin. Not eral major, I've seen ones pulled out in two pieces before, and the vehicle was still driving up until the flexplate was pulled. Vehicle is STILL working, so it apparently didn't do any major damage.

When I had a broken flexplate, you would hear it only when the engine was under heavy load, but not moving fast...such as starting out at he base of a steep driveway, when you gave it gas, it would rattle.

11. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

My brothers was making a slight chattering noise every now and then. At first we could only hear it on the highway when there was a jersey barrier beside us to bounce the sound off. Then it eventually got loud enough that it sounded like a bad bearing in the engine. Turned out that the flywheel was cracked badly. I dont know about yours, but its something to check.
    -Harrison

12. TJS

TJS 1/2 ton status

Wow all these cracked flex plates. I had two of them. I think mine were cracking cause the frame was cracked so bad on one side right behind the pass side cross member that it was putting un-due stress on the flex plate. So I am still in process of working on everything. I also bought an SFI plate from Summit.
    T.J.