Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700r4 to 203 who has done it?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 76SILVERADO, Nov 15, 2003.

1. 76SILVERADO

76SILVERADO Registered Member

I'm replacing a t350. Any info would be great.

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

The first person who comes to mind is the man himself. Steve Watson the owner of ORD.

3. Highjaxx

Highjaxx 1/2 ton status

If you had a th-350/203 it shouldn't be that hard.

You'll need the adapter shaft, I think it's from advanced adapters. That and keep your th-350/203 adapter housing, thats how you bolt it up.

Most of this is probley covered on ORD's website. Just look up how to put a doubler behind your 700R4.

I'll bet you have to drill some new holes in the frame to mount the t-case crossmember/skidplate. Not sure how much the length differs between the two. If it's really different you may need to modify your driveshafts.

Good Luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

The I bought an adapter from Exaxt in Canada. You will also need the stock th350-203 adapter. The Exaxt adapter is basically a spacer that allows you to use the 700r4 with the 203 without replacing the transmission output shaft. It is only $100 + shipping. Look here:
    http://www.exaxt.ca/misc.asp
    Mac was very helpful and I recieved my part in about a week. The only drawback to this setup is the extra length (about 1.5")

5. 76SILVERADO

76SILVERADO Registered Member

thx for the info... what if i had a 4l60e? can u make it work easily due to cpu stuff?

6. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The I bought an adapter from Exaxt in Canada. You will also need the stock th350-203 adapter. The Exaxt adapter is basically a spacer that allows you to use the 700r4 with the 203 without replacing the transmission output shaft. It is only $100 + shipping. Look here:
    http://www.exaxt.ca/misc.asp
    Mac was very helpful and I recieved my part in about a week. The only drawback to this setup is the extra length (about 1.5")

[/ QUOTE ]

What kind of stress have you put on that adapter (i.e. how hard do you wheel)? How long have been running it? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

I haven't found a good 700r4 yet, so it hasn't been installed. From what I can tell it is pretty beefy. Do a search for Exaxt or 700r4 spacer. I seem to remember some posts a while back that said this part worked well for them. That is why I chose the spacer. Also, I have a long bed truck so the extra length didn't matter to me

8. Blazn88

Blazn88 Registered Member

Sorry to highjack the post!!! 4GUNZ4X4Z there is a guy at www.Pavementsucks.com trying to get a hold of you about a post in the For Sale you have on here....His e-mail is Liliysdad@hotmail.com..... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

$100!!!!! Sorry man, You got RAped!

Try this!
    A&Reds Trans. Parts
    816-483-7337
    part number 7Q35A

Don't ask for an adapter to mount this for that for a 4 wheel drive truck... They're a tranny shop that do race car stuff! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif The adapter was originally designed to take up the extra length between the housing a tail shaft on a 2wd th350 swap in a truck that had a 700! Thus, you wouldn't have to change driveshaft lengths and all.... But for what we do... It's exactly what you want!!!!!!! There are some pics of it here:
    Images
    They sent it to me for $60 TO MY DOOR!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    $100!!!!! Sorry man, You got RAped!

Try this!
    A&Reds Trans. Parts
    816-483-7337
    part number 7Q35A

Don't ask for an adapter to mount this for that for a 4 wheel drive truck... They're a tranny shop that do race car stuff! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif The adapter was originally designed to take up the extra length between the housing a tail shaft on a 2wd th350 swap in a truck that had a 700! Thus, you wouldn't have to change driveshaft lengths and all.... But for what we do... It's exactly what you want!!!!!!! There are some pics of it here:
    Images
    They sent it to me for $60 TO MY DOOR!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

SAme question to you.

[ QUOTE ]
    What kind of stress have you put on that adapter (i.e. how hard do you wheel)? How long have been running it?

[/ QUOTE ]

11. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Thanks Blazn88.

12. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

I haven't field tested the adapter myself yet.. I've only used the truck on the streets so far and therefor the most stress would be wrapping the 63" springs around my rear axle testing the axle wrap problem I have! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif But I can tell you this... Billy Ray is the one who gave me the info on this adapter... This adapter is made from solid Aluminum and Billy runs his stuff hard as heck!!!!! From what I know, he didn't have any issues with breaking or contorting this adapter! I also know this... This adapter vs short output shaft issue has been discussed a TON of times! The one thing that the short shaft does is just that, shortens the distance between case and TC... This gives almost every person I have heard of that used the short shaft, tranny pan issues with the front DS hitting the pan! I have no such issues, like I said before, I haven't flexed her out to her limits yet, so I might have some if any, but it will be minor! If you are able to contort this adapter, I would seriously start looking into new body/TC mounts and fixing them! When I started this mod, I basically came to this conclusion:
    Short Shaft:
    1)Shaft is Expensive from AA = $
    2)To install, have to completley tear down tranny and rebuild= $
    3)Causes driveshaft interferance issues and custom pan is needed= $
    Adapter:
    1)CHEAP BUT STRONG
    2)One cutting disc for 4.5" grinder= $
    3)HAve to move shifter hole back 3-4" = bigger shifter boot!= $

Either way, you will more than likely have to change the length of the shafts, so take that into account either way! Hope this helps! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif