Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700r4 to 205

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dheavychevy38, Feb 11, 2003.

1. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 1/2 ton status Premium Member

is there a place to get an adapter for a 700r4 to a np 205 instead of the 241 t-case? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

I have heard some mention an adapter that makes up for the output shaft differences between a 700 and a TH350 version of the 205, but I have yet to see where one can be purchased. The option I am aware of is changing the output shaft of your 700 and using the stock adapter from a 205/350 (I think) and bolting the 205 up that way.

3. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

link is correct, I ordered from those peeps and the service was top notch. Got exactly what i needed, at a good price, and received it quickly. cant ask for much more. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

afa the adapter itself, it makes up most of the distance, but i believe you still need to trim 1/8" or so off the existing output shaft. No bid deal for a shop, both joe-schmoe wanting to do the install in his driveway, its something to be aware of before hand,

j

5. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I have done this VERY recently. I used the adapter offered in the link. I trimmed off the tail shaft for the 700 just up from the end of the splines. This will make sense when you see the tailshaft. I used a 205 from a TH350 with the TH350 adapter as well. Bolted right up.

I will have pics and a write-up on my website in a couple of weeks or so.

6. 1Blazin71

1Blazin71 1/2 ton status

Advance Adapters also makes an adapter and output shaft for the 700 that allow it to mate to a 205 that previously had a 350 in front. Other combos too.

Part No 50-6900 for 205->700R is but not listed on their website Adavance Adapters
    but can be found in some of the PDFS burried in the site.... AA GM Catalog PDF

7. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

That is not an adapter, but simply a special shortened output shaft for the 700 to allow direct mating to a 205 originally behind a TH350. The new shaft is only around $150. BUT... you have to basically rebuild the entire tranny to get to it. Kinda makes the overall cost a bit higher.

The adapter I used cost $65 shipped to my door and required some trimming. Found that to be much, much cheaper, less time consuming, and easier.

8. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

When I did mine I forgot to trim the shafts the 1/8 So when it all went together it would leak if just a little but it's still a leak. The other problem is the shafts bind up which isn't good. I ended up having to send the truck down to the tranny shop cuase my 700r went south the sametime as my 208, But at the time I didn't know it till I got the 205 in, The shop saw the problem and they ground the shafts the 1/8 for me.
    But all is good now.

Eric

9. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

Mine has the AA output shaft and everything went in and works perfect