Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700r4 to 208 to divorced 205 is it possible ???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sgtcherokee, Nov 25, 2004.

1. sgtcherokee

sgtcherokee Registered Member

I'm intrested in making a doubler set up in my rock crawler that is sitting on a cut down 1986 K-5 chassis with a 14 bolt FF and 60 combo . I was thinking about running a dodge divorced 205 ( twin sticked) behind my 208 . does anyone have any info on this type of set up . pro's or con's

2. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    you'd need a ford 208 or somthing of the sort so the front output of t case number 1 isnt blocking t case number 2.

If you have the driveline room for it (fixed yokes on the 208 would be nessesary), it would work. You'd need to make sure the 208 is well protected (need to anyhow).

The way to do it is to just use the planetaries of the 208, and toss the rest of the box away. there is an article on this on www.bc4x4.com, they use a NP231, but it is the same basic concept.
    That way you wouldnt have to worry about much added length, or the output getting in the way.

I would discourage you if you have a fair bit of HP, or are a throttle jockey. Jeep guys do the NP231 planetary swap fairly commonly.

3. sgtcherokee

sgtcherokee Registered Member

thanks for the info . it sounds like more trouble then its worth , I see that your running a 203 /205 doubler , I have a turbo 350 with 203 attached and I also have a 205 (married) lying around in the garage think this would be the better way to go ?

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Well if you used a 32 spline input 205 , and a drivers drop 241 chevy which are in abundance in IFS trucks in junkyards and has a 32 spline output for the slip yoke , all you would have to do is make an adapter that replaces the 241 tailshaft and has the 205 front pattern on it , you could probably even shorten the output shaft if someone could respline it from where you shortened it back . The drivers drop 241 output could even become a PTO , or drive a hydraulic pump or something . Look for more strange case ideas to come out of AZ in the next year , I know somone who may get around to doing something with drivers drop and pass drop case in a fullsize /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif